Rooster run...

Badchickenpun

Songster
May 9, 2022
Central Indiana
We got some barnyard mixes in the spring. Out of seven chicks, four ended up being roos.
We plan to cull at least two. We pretty much know which ones. One of them is a holy terror to the girls.
What would happen if we made a run and only kept the boys in that run? Would they eventually kill each other? We would like to keep one or two in case we decide to try to hatch a few eggs.
They are about 3 months old or so.
We also have a small flock of just hens, six, all over a year old.
We haven't started that integration yet. They all live next to each other in runs that share walls, so they are at least familiar with each other.
What advice can you give about our situation? Would love to hear what everyone has to say. We are completely unsure about how to handle all this.
How do you decide when to butcher your roos? Is it an age or weight thing? Is it a terrible idea to keep the roos separated?

All male flocks tend to work very well, and as long as you always keep them together, and don't separate them, and the try to put them back to together.
I have never had any fights, just the odd peck and chases so to speak.
How do you decide when to butcher your roos? Is it an age or weight thing? Is it a terrible idea to keep the roos separated?
I go by both, although more by age. Being duel-purpose breeds, if you want more meat, you wait a bit longer, and it will be slightly tougher, or you can butcher them younger, and have less meat but more tender.
I have never found toughness a problem, (in other words, they just don't seem tough to me, probably personal preference) so go for around 18 to 22 weeks of age. I don't fry them, (if I wanted to, I would cull them at 15 weeks or less) but roast or casserole them, and they taste so good!

All male flocks tend to work very well, and as long as you always keep them together, and don't separate them, and the try to put them back to together.
I have never had any fights, just the odd peck and chases so to speak.

I go by both, although more by age. Being duel-purpose breeds, if you want more meat, you wait a bit longer, and it will be slightly tougher, or you can butcher them younger, and have less meat but more tender.
I have never found toughness a problem, (in other words, they just don't seem tough to me, probably personal preference) so go for around 18 to 22 weeks of age. I don't fry them, (if I wanted to, I would cull them at 15 weeks or less) but roast or casserole them, and they taste so good!
Thanks for that. The biggest pain, is also the best looking one. Even though he is potentially a mix, he looks completely barred rock, which is a good duel purpose breed supposedly. The other one is black and has some ameraucana features...
Great, now, I need to build a roo-roost and another fence and door...

Back
Top Bottom