Rooster toughness

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
As some know I have a very aggressive rooster that I have a weekly confrontation with....well today he decided he wanted some so I kicked him and knocked him out. He got up and wobbled over and got under some bushes. Now he has finally started back crowing again after about 30 minutes....

Question is: How tough are they? I certainly don't want to harm him but it's getting old having to fight him every few days. That being said, he is excellent with the hens and I free range all day every day so I really need a roo.

I would say to just get rid of your current roo. Rescue or find another roo that is good at protecting the hens AND respects you. So many people have to get rid of very good roosters due to restrictions or other things. It is best to give a home to a good roo then having to watch your back every time you leave your house due to your current one. Roosters can do damage to you and having to watch your back everywhere you go is not good.

I would say to just get rid of your current roo. Rescue or find another roo that is good at protecting the hens AND respects you. So many people have to get rid of very good roosters due to restrictions or other things. It is best to give a home to a good roo then having to watch your back every time you leave your house due to your current one. Roosters can do damage to you and having to watch your back everywhere you go is not good.
I'm really considering this....I have read on here and other places that they calm down some after a year old. He's a couple months from that so I was trying to hold out to see if he does in fact chill out. I really hate it because he is a true gentleman to the hens but a giant a$$ to me.

Maybe being knocked out cold will help speed up the chilling out.....LOL

I'm really considering this....I have read on here and other places that they calm down some after a year old. He's a couple months from that so I was trying to hold out to see if he does in fact chill out. I really hate it because he is a true gentleman to the hens but a giant a$$ to me.

Maybe being knocked out cold will help speed up the chilling out.....LOL
If he’s truly flogging you, it isn’t going to be fixed with age. Age seems to only fix the ones that are simply not good with boundaries. For example, a cockerel that may lightly bite you to get you to feed it will likely grow out of it. One that actually slaps you with its legs trying to spur you, will not. That sort of aggression is a wiring problem in the bird’s brain. It can’t discern you from a rival rooster. While the one that is just casually pushy sometimes knows you are not a rival and instead is just trying cause and effect behaviors to see if it can manipulate you to do what it wants.

i had two aggressive roosters that made it to 1 year old before they ended up as chicken adobo, because they couldn’t leave my kids and in-laws alone. They respected me and my husband, but they were still a threat to anyone else on the property. During processing I saw that they both had HUGE “huevos”, just too much testosterone to ever control themselves lol

Now, my rooster is a Blue Copper Marans, and he’s very polite, has never so much as “danced” at a human, let alone attacked. I’ve read that Marans roos in general are nice? Might want to look into getting a boy of that breed if it’s true

Back
Top Bottom