Rooster training

Nakoda

Hatching
Jun 14, 2020
Does anyone have any ideas on some rooster training? Our Alpha rooster Brutus is for the most part very friendly & is easily picked up and follows me around all the time. In the mornings however he is ... maybe grumpy šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø and when I go into their chicken run he will do a funny dance beside me & then peck at me? My 4 year old also says that he tries to peck at him but itā€™s always when my back is turned. When he pecks ar me I just pick him up for a minute then put him down & he seems fine..... does anyone have any suggestions
0C4E7FD0-F465-42BA-A7A3-3387928DFEFB.jpeg
or ideas? We all really love him but I donā€™t want this to escalate & have him scare or hurts one of our kids šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I know this may be a silly question but any advice I am appreciative of šŸ˜‰

My training for all chickens of both sexes is holding them at day one, & through adulthood. I don't pick up adult birds all the time though.

I also wear red, & talk to them. My method works for me.

I've had very few aggressive cockerels/roosters. If they do turn up, they become a meal.

Iā€™d watch him very closely with your kids. Things can go badly very quickly. First thing Iā€™d do is quit treating him like a pet. As soon as I recognize a cockerel, itā€™s hands off. I will walk towards them, through them, and back them up. I move them away from food and water just because I can. If they start staking me or getting in my space, giving me ā€œthe lookā€, to giving me any other reason to suspect theyā€™re thinking bad thoughts, I will turn around and walk right at them. I donā€™t chase them or act aggressively, just decisively. I havenā€™t had a problem rooster since I started raising them this way.

Now having said all that, I will add that training him to respect you, does not mean he will respect your kids. At the first sign of aggression toward them, heā€™d be gone if he were mine.

Iā€™d watch him very closely with your kids. Things can go badly very quickly. First thing Iā€™d do is quit treating him like a pet. As soon as I recognize a cockerel, itā€™s hands off. I will walk towards them, through them, and back them up. I move them away from food and water just because I can. If they start staking me or getting in my space, giving me ā€œthe lookā€, to giving me any other reason to suspect theyā€™re thinking bad thoughts, I will turn around and walk right at them. I donā€™t chase them or act aggressively, just decisively. I havenā€™t had a problem rooster since I started raising them this way.

Now having said all that, I will add that training him to respect you, does not mean he will respect your kids. At the first sign of aggression toward them, heā€™d be gone if he were mine.
Great advice!!

I used to have an Orpington rooster who I had an unspoken rule with; I leave you alone, you leave me alone. In hindsight however, if for example he had gotten sick, this probably would have made things a lot harder.
I agree to be careful with your kids, a friend of mine was attacked by a rooster when she was a child, and now she is mortally afraid of chickens.

Back
Top Bottom