Rooster w/ wobbly hock no swelling or redness

BPaula

Chirping
May 22, 2020
I have a 4 month old rooster that might have been in a fight with one of my older hens, he now has a wobbly hock joint.. I separated him for a few days in a coop with no roost and gave him vitamin B complex and he seemed improved so I put him back in coop, a week later after perching and normal activities it seems to be getting more wobbly again so I’ve separated him again. He hates being alone and apart from the hens and I always worry the stress of separation can sometimes do more harm than good. Giving more vitamin B but wondering should I do a wrap or splint? If so how exactly? again I’ve heard these things if done improperly can do more harm than good too. There is no redness or swelling but when I try flexing this leg he clearly winces.

It may just be a sprain or strain, it's hard to know. I wouldn't splint unless it's necessary to stabilize it. Can you put him in a wire crate in the run with the rest of the birds, with his own food and water. That is often the least stressful way to separate them. That will let him rest, restrict his movement, and they can all still see each other and talk to each other. If splinting becomes necessary, make sure it's padded and not too tight, check often for swelling and redo as needed. You don't want to cut circulation off or have anything rub and cause irritation. I will attach a splinting manual below.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom