Rooster wantin some love (I think)

Kenberg

Chirping
May 22, 2020
Maine
🐓 rooster behavior question 🐓

Leapfrog is a 4 month EE and was raised with his 6 hens from chicks.

For the last week or so I will hear a sudden, loud sqwaking happening but I hadn't been able to see what causes it because by the time I get out there the kerfuffle seems to be over. Finally yesterday I was able to see what causes said kerfuffle- he's pecking at the neck and back of Bubbles (brown one in the middle) like he's trying to mate but she seems terrified. And all 6 hens will sit up high like in this picture where he cant get to them. I even had to rescue Bubbles from the top of the coop at bedtime because she wouldn't come down- Leapfrog was waiting for her and she was havin' none of it.

Thoughts? Is he just ready for the dance of love but Bubbles is not? Is he being aggressive or is this normal? I haven't noticed him doing that to anyone else yet...
0814220729a.jpg
0814220728a.jpg

He is a cockerel just coming into his full raging hormones.
The pullets are NOT. Therefore, they are not ready for this kind of attention.
He is going after the one pullet because he is most attracted to her.
If he is being so obnoxious that the pullets are not coming down or won't roost, I would separate him into his own secure housing for another 4 weeks or so until the pullets have time to sexually mature. Once they start squatting for him, they are ready.

He is a cockerel just coming into his full raging hormones.
The pullets are NOT. Therefore, they are not ready for this kind of attention.
He is going after the one pullet because he is most attracted to her.
If he is being so obnoxious that the pullets are not coming down or won't roost, I would separate him into his own secure housing for another 4 weeks or so until the pullets have time to sexually mature. Once they start squatting for him, they are ready.
I agree 😊

Back
Top Bottom