Rooster wanting to be alone??

I wouldn't put it past your silkie cockerel to be big enough to injure your older rooster. I have seen a pint sized Old English Game Bantam Cockerel who only stands maybe 7 inches tall and can only reach the smaller bantam hens for breeding still beat the crap out of a full sized Rooster.

I wouldn't put it past your silkie cockerel to be big enough to injure your older rooster. I have seen a pint sized Old English Game Bantam Cockerel who only stands maybe 7 inches tall and can only reach the smaller bantam hens for breeding still beat the crap out of a full sized Rooster.
Do you think I would notice something different in the coop at bedtime if that had happened? He's still roosting in his top spot with the girls

Do you think I would notice something different in the coop at bedtime if that had happened? He's still roosting in his top spot with the girls
Most likely. They often do this stuff at night of dusk so if you sit patiently and watch you can get a good idea of their behavior.

A friend has a silkie rooster and that is one mean bird. He does attack her. I think he may have mellowed out a bit after his attack on the Great Dane almost ended him.

It may be the cold, but sometimes a purplish blue colored comb indicates a heart issue. It is genetic and probably nothing you can do for it. He may not live long. An old chicken lady told me once, that when young, those kind of hearts can keep up with the body when smaller, but the body outgrows the ability because of the defect.

I don't know how accurate that was, but I have seen this happen, and they didn't live long.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom