Rooster weird noises

Dimensions and pics of inside coop would help here.
I'd strongly encourage you to nip the sleeping in the nests habit,
cover the nests an hour before roosting time, then uncover when locking up after dark.

FYI-PSA.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.
Sorry I barely saw this. Here is the inside of my coop. If anyone has any improvement ideas feel free to comment. I was thinking of putting a ladder to the roost. The ducks sleep under them. For right now I have a net and a training pad to catch the poop but I want do to the sandbox idea under the roost. W 42 inches across nesting boxes are 25 inches Length about 7 1/2 feet. Height about 7 also.

Attachments

• DC74E82D-5D0D-428C-B032-AE054D3E3EE8.jpeg
    DC74E82D-5D0D-428C-B032-AE054D3E3EE8.jpeg
    497.8 KB · Views: 3
I would space the roosts farther apart, so they don't have to be head to head or butt to head while roosting. When they are too close then feather picking can become an issue. Some birds like to roost all squeezed in and snuggly with others, some demand space and it can get testy. Particularly anytime the pecking order is changed from loss of birds or adding new birds or integrating new chicks. The more space you can give them, the better things usually go. A ramp (or ladder) would be helpful, some birds are reluctant to use ladders, so a ramp might be better. Or even blocks that they can use as steps up. An interim distance to make the jump less.
A poop board will help keep things cleaner underneath, and make it easier for clean up. I just have a painted plywood board that I scrape every morning and wipe down with white vinegar. You can alternately put a lip on the edge of the board and put sand on it if that's your preferred method.
Everything in my coop is removable so that when needed I can tear it all down and do a thorough cleaning, usually once or twice a year for me, because it gets a daily cleanup of droppings from the board.
I don't have ducks but in reading many find that housing them separately is better. Ducks like wet and are very messy, so not always optimal to have them together, but again I have no personal experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom