Rooster with 2 oil glands?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
I was holding one of my roosters today (a bantam cochin), and I noticed that he has two oil glands instead of one. Has anyone ever heard of that happening? Can he still groom normally?

You inspired me to run out and check one of our 9-week Black Copper Marans cockerels, André the Giant Chicken. I thought I saw a double preen gland when he was in the brooder but had forgotten to confirm if that was real or just my tired eyes.

Yes, his preen gland is forked! He's the shiniest of birds, so I assume at least one side is working.

André is massive, so my original thought was he must be so big he needs 2, ha. But your bantam debunks that theory :)

You inspired me to run out and check one of our 9-week Black Copper Marans cockerels, André the Giant Chicken. I thought I saw a double preen gland when he was in the brooder but had forgotten to confirm if that was real or just my tired eyes.

Yes, his preen gland is forked! He's the shiniest of birds, so I assume at least one side is working.

André is massive, so my original thought was he must be so big he needs 2, ha. But your bantam debunks that theory :)

Interesting! I wonder why our boys have that?
Good to know that André can preen though. It's hard to tell with my rooster, because he's frizzled. 😄

Not sure frizzled feathers can be 'water proofed'....or even preened to realign the feather barbs.

I know the feather barbs definitely can't be realigned. I didn't know they can't be water proofed though. I figured he just gets wet because the feathers don't lie flat.

Back
Top Bottom