Rooster woes

6forus

Hatching
Jul 18, 2020
New to raising chickens. We purchased our first 6 locally (so. Nevada) at 2 days old, just over 4 months ago. Our county allows 10 chickens on this property. So, 6 seemed like a good start. However, found out that roosters are illegal to keep in this county. Out of the 6 chicks, one is a rooster. And he’s starting to get a little “mouthy” with his crowing! The only place I’ve found to surrender him wants the whole flock to keep them together. Not acceptable, but really don‘t know if the hens would be affected by his loss either. Kind of a quandary for us. He’s a RI red and not really showing aggression. They’ve all been handled from the day we brought them home. One hen also a red, 2 Orpingtons, and 2 EE comprise our little flock. And, no, don’t want him in freezer camp! Anyone have suggestions for us?

The hens won't be bothered by him being gone at all.

You can post on craigslist or contact animals shelters and offer him for free and hope he goes to a nice family. Plenty of people take in free roosters. But bear in mind - for every hen hatched a rooster is hatched too. Those roosters have to go SOMEwhere, and most of those places aren't "nice" - whether you put them there personally or not. So it may not do to ask too many questions when someone comes to get your free rooster.

Even if you can keep roosters, a flock only ever needs one rooster for several hens. Not a lot of desire for the several extras for each flock .

Someone will take the cockerel, but only if they get several free pullets with him? That's a new one.

Craigslist! :D also try Facebook, and it's worth a chance to ask your local feedstores (I know my local WilCo doesn't but my other Feedstore does, IF the chicks were bought there) they may take him back and resell him :) you could also make a post on here in the rehoming forum and see if anyone nearby wants him!

Your hens especially if raised with him will probably be a little sad, but they'll have each other so they should be okay after a period of adjustment :)

New to raising chickens. We purchased our first 6 locally (so. Nevada) at 2 days old, just over 4 months ago. Our county allows 10 chickens on this property. So, 6 seemed like a good start. However, found out that roosters are illegal to keep in this county. Out of the 6 chicks, one is a rooster. And he’s starting to get a little “mouthy” with his crowing! The only place I’ve found to surrender him wants the whole flock to keep them together. Not acceptable, but really don‘t know if the hens would be affected by his loss either. Kind of a quandary for us. He’s a RI red and not really showing aggression. They’ve all been handled from the day we brought them home. One hen also a red, 2 Orpingtons, and 2 EE comprise our little flock. And, no, don’t want him in freezer camp! Anyone have suggestions for us?
The hens will probably notice he's gone and honestly it's good to have one good roo in a flock in order to protect the hens, so this ratio would've worked perfectly had your county allowed roos...I know there's rules in different places, but a whole county outlawing roos? From what I know usually different cities or townships make different rules, and where I am countys generally have a big to medium-sized city or 2, a lot of smaller or medium sized towns, and then area in-between that's country where no animals are outlawed. What state/county are you located in? Also, where did you get this information from?

The hens will probably notice he's gone and honestly it's good to have one good roo in a flock in order to protect the hens, so this ratio would've worked perfectly had your county allowed roos...I know there's rules in different places, but a whole county outlawing roos? From what I know usually different cities or townships make different rules, and where I am countys generally have a big to medium-sized city or 2, a lot of smaller or medium sized towns, and then area in-between that's country where no animals are outlawed. What state/county are you located in? Also, where did you get this information from?
We are in Nevada, Clark County. The info came from the county‘s website.

And, yes, we would like to keep him. Neighbors are pretty far apart here, but if someone reports the crowing and they come to check it out, I’m not sure what they‘d do with him. Guess I could call animal control and ask the question. You know “just asking for a friend” routine. I just want to be sure to make the best decision about the care for all of them.

We are in Nevada, Clark County. The info came from the county‘s website.
I live in Ohio, so I guess the rules are different out there, stinks that they would do that! Outlawing something throughout a whole county that has both country and city parts makes no sense, but the laws don't always.
And, yes, we would like to keep him. Neighbors are pretty far apart here, but if someone reports the crowing and they come to check it out, I’m not sure what they‘d do with him. Guess I could call animal control and ask the question. You know “just asking for a friend” routine. I just want to be sure to make the best decision about the care for all of them.
That's a good idea! I wish you the best of luck and will pray for a favorable answer.

I live in Ohio, so I guess the rules are different out there, stinks that they would do that! Outlawing something throughout a whole county that has both country and city parts makes no sense, but the laws don't always.

Clark County is where Las Vegas is. The city of Las Vegas alone covers a huge portion of the county, and holds the vast majority of the people in the entire state. It's not too surprising that their county-wide laws would be vastly different than ours.

Back
Top Bottom