Roosters??

Cbohannon90

Hatching
Apr 9, 2024
These two are just shy of 6 weeks old (will be 6 weeks in 2 days). I am not very experienced in raising chickens, but I think they may be roosters. Their combs are quite a bit bigger and redder than the rest, and I think they may have the start of wattles growing (?). I have attached some pictures. I would appreciate any insight I can get. Thank you!!

Attachments

• IMG_5633.jpeg
    IMG_5633.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5630.jpeg
    IMG_5630.jpeg
    588.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5631.jpeg
    IMG_5631.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 13
Both male. The last one is a golden laced wyandotte.
Thank you! I was thinking they were both males. They’re both supposed to be Barnevelder chickens, but the Wyandotte makes sense after looking at some pictures. They’re beautiful birds, so I don’t mind! They are both very mild-mannered so far. If a rooster is going to be aggressive, when will they start showing signs of that?

The best thing you can do to prevent aggressive behavior is to ignore the males. Even push them around a little. Wyandotte's have a reputation for being human aggressive. The behavior would start to manifest around sexual maturity.

The best thing you can do to prevent aggressive behavior is to ignore the males. Even push them around a little. Wyandotte's have a reputation for being human aggressive. The behavior would start to manifest around sexual maturity.
Thank you so much for this information. It is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom