Roosters

Pics
IMG_9918.jpeg
This is Johnny (formerly known as June until he started crowing). He is a one year old Wyandotte. He is very watchful over his girls and in general doesn’t like anyone but them. He was hand raised like every other chick in the flock (he was supposed to be a she). He always allows the girls to eat first and he is very protective of them. Other than that, he doesn’t have much value. He allows the girls to squabble and has allowed one of them to become a prolific feather picker, even picking out some of his tail feathers! He tolerates me but will flog me if there is anything going on that he doesn’t like. You got new boots? New food scoop? You have a flogging coming. I have tried the usual methods of catching him and pinning him down, holding him, petting him, etc but he’s unaffected. Anyone else comes near the flock and they’ll get worse.

Do any of your roosters go into the nest box and call your hens to it? I love when Royal does that it’s so cute!
Kong..yes it's cute.
IMG_20230701_131127.jpg

Not so cute when they are tearing apart my screw and nail cabinet.
IMG_20231019_130913.jpg

Somewhere between cute and annoying when he crams himself into a cabinet I'm looking to restore.
IMG_20240213_145820.jpg

I finally had to just make up a temporary nest box to keep them out of everything else.
This is King patiently waiting with one of his girls.
IMG_20240106_142001.jpg

I love roosters and would keep them all if I could. Mine are handled from day 1, but I don't put up with bad behavior. If they show any aggression toward me or other humans, I pick them up and football carry them for a while. This doesn't always work, and I'm not hesitant to cull for human aggression, even in very young cockerels.

My current 5 guys each have their own flock of varying sizes. In spring, like now, they all have to be kept separate, but by midsummer I'm able to free range all flocks together. The senior roo, Sweet Pea, my big Blue Orpington, keeps everyone else in line. My Brahma/Ameraucana cross Ursa just wants to stay out of everyone's way. My big Brahma boy Rocky has been my most challenging - he's a biter - but he's settling as he grows up (just turned 1 year old). And my two Bantam Cochins, Patsy and Meatball, well, they have little guy syndrome. Meatball wants to fight everyone he sees, but loves to be snuggled by humans. Patsy is less rooster-aggressive but similarly human-friendly.

I do think that if you keep more than one rooster, you have to have a tolerance for the occasional fight and a willingness to rehome or cull if the fighting goes beyond mild territorial squabbling. I still haven't successfully kept a bachelor flock, and Rocky and Meatball, once the best of friends, now have a deadly feud because they've discovered girls. Sigh.

My current dilemma is that I've hatched a gorgeous splash Brahma-Ameraucana cockerel and may need to figure out how to keep him. My patient and enduring husband has said, sure, I'll build you ANOTHER coop...
I love the name meatball! My other Cochin rooster that I had to rehome was like a meatball! His feathers were really thick so he looked fat!

I have three - Buff Orpington, Golden Wyandotte, and Black Cochin. Unfortunately we have to get rid of the Crest (the Wyandotte) as much as we don't want to, he is too much of a fighter and almost is killing Buff. The Cochin (Slippers) is the sweetest thing EVER! He is like a live stuffed animal that actually loves you!

View attachment 3806548This is Johnny (formerly known as June until he started crowing). He is a one year old Wyandotte. He is very watchful over his girls and in general doesn’t like anyone but them. He was hand raised like every other chick in the flock (he was supposed to be a she). He always allows the girls to eat first and he is very protective of them. Other than that, he doesn’t have much value. He allows the girls to squabble and has allowed one of them to become a prolific feather picker, even picking out some of his tail feathers! He tolerates me but will flog me if there is anything going on that he doesn’t like. You got new boots? New food scoop? You have a flogging coming. I have tried the usual methods of catching him and pinning him down, holding him, petting him, etc but he’s unaffected. Anyone else comes near the flock and they’ll get worse.
Johnny needs some time out lol

Great rooster stories! I love having roosters just for the crowing bc I was a city girl growing up. I currently have a wonderful orange silkie boy named Curry. He is super friendly and comes to me for attention every time Im in the coop. I had some Christmas and January hen hatches and now have 4 teenage boys who are stirring up my once peaceable kingdom. Cant find anyone who wants them and cant imagine culling them but the hens are having no fun! I want to keep my bantam cochin roo that was hatched in January bc hes so cute and too small to bother the hens! Any tips on culling that isnt like a horror movie?!?!

Great rooster stories! I love having roosters just for the crowing bc I was a city girl growing up. I currently have a wonderful orange silkie boy named Curry. He is super friendly and comes to me for attention every time Im in the coop. I had some Christmas and January hen hatches and now have 4 teenage boys who are stirring up my once peaceable kingdom. Cant find anyone who wants them and cant imagine culling them but the hens are having no fun! I want to keep my bantam cochin roo that was hatched in January bc hes so cute and too small to bother the hens! Any tips on culling that isnt like a horror movie?!?!
Things do get difficult when you get unexpected Roos! Hopefully you can regome them. Do you have any pictures of them? I would love to see them! 😊

Royal enjoyed some free range time with his girls today! That’s one of the few pictures I ever got of him flapping!

Attachments

• CFBBB627-A614-4C42-92A5-B6B6D97CB360.jpeg
    CFBBB627-A614-4C42-92A5-B6B6D97CB360.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • DC8BAA21-2501-49B7-90ED-EA85276686DE.jpeg
    DC8BAA21-2501-49B7-90ED-EA85276686DE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 9E11BC78-73E1-41C6-BA93-E8542B71B343.jpeg
    9E11BC78-73E1-41C6-BA93-E8542B71B343.jpeg
    954.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 9F1F232B-45E3-4F85-A16D-6C479B7BE6A6.jpeg
    9F1F232B-45E3-4F85-A16D-6C479B7BE6A6.jpeg
    838.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 98B27714-CDFB-4554-8299-BD780FF885CB.jpeg
    98B27714-CDFB-4554-8299-BD780FF885CB.jpeg
    927.5 KB · Views: 3
I wanted to start a thread that discussed roosters. From them being rough or gentle to your hens to being good with people or attacking you. I have my own rooster and have given away four others but I haven’t given much time for learning about roosters so hopefully I can learn something! I would also love to see pictures and hear stories! The rooster I have now is a Cochin named Royal he is a year old and has never attacked a human. He is great with my hens and pullet. View attachment 3801169My other roosters all went to a great home!

Good story here, watch the short video, you'll enjoy it -

The Axmen Recycling and Rooster Sanctuary Facility​

"Bring us your poor - your tired huddled masses"

https://www.kpax.com/news/missoula-...CJ-vHUDPEveysUsue9LZ1GxRy5-LbCRMhBS5VoVVyszQY

Back
Top Bottom