Rooter pulling hens feathers out

HenTea

Chirping
Apr 9, 2022
My rooster has been pulling the feathers from 2 hens. I got some of those saddle protectors, but its not helping. I do want to send him to the stew pot, we have not had the time. What can I do? their backs are almost bald. The only good thing with the saddles is they are keeping the backs from being burnt. I have 14 hens for one rooters.

How do your hens act? If they are all around him, preen him, listen to his call and come running, don't worry about it. Bare back chickens bother people more than chickens.

If they are hiding from him, in distress when he approaches them, try their best to stay out of his sight and avoid him. He needs to be gone sooner than later.

Trust your girls.

Mrs K

How do your hens act? If they are all around him, preen him, listen to his call and come running, don't worry about it. Bare back chickens bother people more than chickens.

If they are hiding from him, in distress when he approaches them, try their best to stay out of his sight and avoid him. He needs to be gone sooner than later.

Trust your girls.

Mrs K
I wont lie this is my 1st rooster. No they are not scared of him. They will run right up to him and pick the ground with him. I have never seen anyone preening him. He is missing a few feathers himself. Hell I have never seen him with a hen. He is too busy trying to kill me! Witch is why he needs to go.
Should I leave the saddles on the hens? Just to keep the sun off their backs? They do have lots of shade. It is only 2 of the 14 hens with bald backs.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom