Rouen or Mallard?

BeeRex

Chirping
Sep 2, 2023
I have 2 Mallards that I know are mallards. But I have a duckling now that was given to us as a rescue. And I can’t tell if she (we assume it’s a she given they’re only 3 weeks old) is a Rouen or Mallard.

I’ve looked at multiple images and I want to say that she is a Rouen? Only because everything I’ve seen said that Rouen’s have a dip where their breast meets their belly and Mallards are just smooth. But looking at images, I see Rouen duckling not having that dip and then I’ve seen pics of Mallards having the dip. So I’m just confused because we were told she was taken from the wild and then given to my cousin who then gave it to us. But Rouens aren’t found in the wild like that. So maybe she wasn’t from the wild and she was actually from a backyard or something. Any thoughts?

I can always take more pictures if more angles are needed to tell

Attachments

• IMG_4048.jpeg
    IMG_4048.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    674.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4102.jpeg
    IMG_4102.jpeg
    699.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4101.jpeg
    IMG_4101.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 14
:welcome How old are the ones you know are mallards? Rouens look identical except for size [much larger] and Mallards have 1 eye strip Rouens have 2.
Also look for a missing back toe or a hole punch in the webbing that will tell you if it's from a hatchery.

Last edited:
:welcome How old are the ones you know are mallards? Rouens look identical except for size [much larger] and Mallards have 1 eye strip Rouens have 2.
Also look for a missing back toe or a hole punch in the webbing that will tell you if it's from a hatchery.
The ones I know are mallards are about 6 months old. I’ve had other people telling me that she’s more than likely a Rouen due to how big she is only at 2 weeks old. And the shape of her breast/belly

I have 2 Mallards that I know are mallards. But I have a duckling now that was given to us as a rescue. And I can’t tell if she (we assume it’s a she given they’re only 3 weeks old) is a Rouen or Mallard.

I’ve looked at multiple images and I want to say that she is a Rouen? Only because everything I’ve seen said that Rouen’s have a dip where their breast meets their belly and Mallards are just smooth. But looking at images, I see Rouen duckling not having that dip and then I’ve seen pics of Mallards having the dip. So I’m just confused because we were told she was taken from the wild and then given to my cousin who then gave it to us. But Rouens aren’t found in the wild like that. So maybe she wasn’t from the wild and she was actually from a backyard or something. Any thoughts?

I can always take more pictures if more angles are needed to tell
I have (2) Rouen females that are about 6 months old, and had them from ducklings, and they didn't look like that. They were like black all over. The first picture is what they looked like as ducklings, the second picture is what they look like now...not the ones with the green heads, but the other two. I need clarity too, because the ones with the green heads, I was thinking are mallards maybe, but also thought they may be the male Rouen, especially since I read online that mallards are the ancestors of Rouen ducks, this may make sense if they are Rouen males.

Attachments

• Rouen Ducklings.jpg
    Rouen Ducklings.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I have (2) Rouen females that are about 6 months old, and had them from ducklings, and they didn't look like that. They were like black all over. The first picture is what they looked like as ducklings, the second picture is what they look like now...not the ones with the green heads, but the other two. I need clarity too, because the ones with the green heads, I was thinking are mallards maybe, but also thought they may be the male Rouen, especially since I read online that mallards are the ancestors of Rouen ducks, this may make sense if they are Rouen males.
I’m no expert but I’ve been doing some reading and I believe that you have two Black Rouen Females and the green headed ones are the males. Either way, they are some beautiful ducks

Back
Top Bottom