Rude Rooster

MeredithLindsay

In the Brooder
Dec 25, 2020
So. I have a tiny bantam flock of four birds. Two silkies and two black tailed white Japanese bantams. We’ve discovered about a month ago that one of the silkies is in fact a Roo. No big deal. He’s pretty sweet for the most part. The fact that he’s so small helps. He’s been interested in the Black Tails lately. Pulling on their feathers throughout the day. Looks rude to me but they seem unbothered (and uninterested😂). Lately though every morning once everyone makes their way into the run he starts attacking! Their coop and run are not yet attached so I carry all four out to the run every morning. Once everyone gets in he literally runs around pecking them. He also does a weird thing where he kind of throws himself sideways at them? Even at the other silkie who he usually leaves alone. For the first few minutes of every morning the three hens run away desperately trying to get away from his rude behavior. If I pick him up and hold him a few minutes he calms down and they all eat breakfast nicely. What’s the deal? Why is he such a jerk in the morning?

The sideways thing is a dance he performs to show off. He is coming of age and if you don't want fertilized eggs I recommend seperating or rehoming. If you don't mind fertilized eggs, then you should really get more hens for him. A good ratio is one rooster to ten hens.
I would hate to lose him bc the silkies are my favorite but I can’t get more. I also have four Isa Browns but I keep my bantams separate to prevent bullying. (The other silkie broke her leg as a chick and doesn’t walk, only hops, so she’d be picked out majorly.) I could give him some time with the isas maybe? When I let him out he just tries to get back in with the littles.

Yup I agree with Lydia, your rooster is just trying to romance the ladies and it might take a while for him to convince them.
My older rooster does the dance (he even flaps his wings slightly against his leg) and if the hen is in the mood she'll lower herself, but if not he sometimes has to chase them around until he "catches" them by the top of their neck feathers and then gets on them to do his thing (they don't always allow him to catch them).
Nothing to worry about yet really.

I would hate to lose him bc the silkies are my favorite but I can’t get more. I also have four Isa Browns but I keep my bantams separate to prevent bullying. (The other silkie broke her leg as a chick and doesn’t walk, only hops, so she’d be picked out majorly.) I could give him some time with the isas maybe? When I let him out he just tries to get back in with the littles.
I have heard of some mixed flocks working. Have you tried it yet? You could try him with the ISAs. You could take him to an animal swap and see if you can swap him for a silkie hen.

He’s had some interaction with them and he does actually do a good job standing his ground. I’m not sure if they’re giving up authority or if they’re just confused and uninterested in this tiny feisty fur ball of a chicken. I know three hens isn’t enough for him though so I guess I need to put him with the Isas everyday or rehome him.

Back
Top Bottom