Rumpless araucana with poopy butt!

toendersfarm

Chirping
May 2, 2017
Hi all,
I have a super cute rumpless araucana pullet names Guacamole, who keeps getting poopy butt. She is almost 4 mths old, not laying yet, is totally healthy, and her poops are normal (based on the handy dandy poop chart), as is the rest of my flock. However, she is constantly getting poop stuck in the feathers around her bum. Is it anything to do with her being rumpless? (I've never had one before this) Or could it be her pooping technique? Haha. Ive tried trimming the feathers around her bum, but I'm still consistently having to bathe her to remove the build-up and keep her smelling good (and she doesn't seem to mind the baths at all). But I'd really like to know if there is anything else
IMG_7861 2.PNG
I can do, or is this something we will just have to deal with ongoing? Like I said, she is totally healthy and active, and I want to keep her that way. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!

Some hens may have excess feathers around the vent, or the poop may not be able to clear her backend. Excess feathers can be trimmed a little once in awhile. If she has any runny poop, sometimes more will get caught on that. It is important to keep the vent area clean in hot weather so that flies do not lay maggot eggs on it. Look for lice or mites, since lice eggs on feathers will may allow more droppings to cling back there.

Some hens may have excess feathers around the vent, or the poop may not be able to clear her backend. Excess feathers can be trimmed a little once in awhile. If she has any runny poop, sometimes more will get caught on that. It is important to keep the vent area clean in hot weather so that flies do not lay maggot eggs on it. Look for lice or mites, since lice eggs on feathers will may allow more droppings to cling back there.

Back
Top Bottom