Runny chick poo

JLoWil

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2023
I have 3 buff Orpington and 4 silkies. They are seven weeks old. They have only been inside and not transitioned outside to their coop yet due to the heat wave of 100°+ for a week. They eat non-medicated starter feed, their indoor “coop” has large pine shaving & they have fresh water and food at all times. I sprinkle oregano leaves in the coop and sometimes some red pepper flakes in the feed. Only treats have been meal worms and cucumber. The first few weeks they had electrolytes in their water. Then I transitioned to poultry cell vitamins diluted into their water, and now plain water. For the last few days, their poop ranges from completely solid & normal to super runny. Sometimes it’s brown liquid and sometimes it’s clear liquid around the solids. Up until the last few days all 7 of their poops were solid and uniform. See photos of their poop collection just now..

Attachments

• IMG_8979.jpeg
    IMG_8979.jpeg
    492.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8978.jpeg
    IMG_8978.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8977.jpeg
    IMG_8977.jpeg
    612.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8980.jpeg
    IMG_8980.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8981.jpeg
    IMG_8981.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8982.jpeg
    IMG_8982.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8984.jpeg
    IMG_8984.jpeg
    529.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8983.jpeg
    IMG_8983.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 1
Electrolytes and Poultry Cell should not be given for more than a couple of days, or it can cause diarrhea. It’s good you have them on plain water now. I would stop the oregano and red pepper as well. Are they active, eating and drinking? I usually place a piece of sod from outdoors in the brooder for them to peck at, to get exposed gradually to coccidia in the soil. Are they off heat now? Do you have a lot of ventilation inside their outdoor coop? I have raised chicks indoors for 3-4 weeks, and it is a nightmare with all of the dust, dander, and poop odor. It would be good to start putting them out there some, getting them used to it, if it isn’t too hot, and there is plenty of shade. Watch for signs of coccidiosis, which include lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up or hunched, not eating and runny poops. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If using Corid powder dosage is 1.5 tsp.

Electrolytes and Poultry Cell should not be given for more than a couple of days, or it can cause diarrhea. It’s good you have them on plain water now. I would stop the oregano and red pepper as well. Are they active, eating and drinking? I usually place a piece of sod from outdoors in the brooder for them to peck at, to get exposed gradually to coccidia in the soil. Are they off heat now? Do you have a lot of ventilation inside their outdoor coop? I have raised chicks indoors for 3-4 weeks, and it is a nightmare with all of the dust, dander, and poop odor. It would be good to start putting them out there some, getting them used to it, if it isn’t too hot, and there is plenty of shade. Watch for signs of coccidiosis, which include lethargy, weakness, standing around puffed up or hunched, not eating and runny poops. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If using Corid powder dosage is 1.5 tsp.
I totally appreciate all of the info. Yes I took the heat out of their indoor coop about 1-2 weeks ago . And yes, the dust is a nightmare. Yes we have a large coop and I made an extension onto it with hardware cloth which fits perfectly around a birch tree to give it plenty of shade and also buried it below the soil as well. At least two or more of my silkies are going to a friends because we were finally able to tell they are boys! I bought liquid corid to have on hand. As of right now, they are all doing great and no signs of anything wrong. Throughout the day, they go between the watery poops to solid poops. It was just odd to me because they never had that liquidy stuff before. It’s finally going to be in the 90s starting tomorrow so I was thinking of putting them outside. I’ve read up a ton on ways to keep them cool as well.

Back
Top Bottom