Runt Red or Sick Chick?

IndylawPaul

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
Hello all,
I have 4 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Rhode Island Red chicks. They are about a week old and all growing well, except for one of my reds. She has had the pasty butt twice. about 5 min ago my wife and I removed a particularly sticky one, and trimmed the hair so any future pasties would be easily removed. She pooped a pile the size of a red grape right after, so she was alittle blocked up. She is smaller than the rest, clearly at the bottom of the pecking order (but the other red sometimes defends her when the buffs pick on her, cute), hang out by herself, doesn't eat much, and is constantly stretching her wings, usually the right one.

They are on medicated starter.

Is she just the runt, maybe kinda weak, or should I be worried?

This is my first time raising chickens, so please excuse my stupid questions and general anxiety.

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

She wont even eat mealworm or crickets now, while the other chicks fight over them. She sleeps all the time, wont eat and avoids the other chicks. Even the red has abandoned her. What should I do? I have the equipment to humanely cull her if she wont recover (a CO2 tank for brewing), but I don't want to do that unless she is a lost cause.

Little Gal passed away last night. Sanitized everything and the 5 others are doing well. just wasn't meant to be.

Back
Top Bottom