Sad Goose? Maybe?

Sprkplug

Hatching
May 16, 2023
Someone dumped (or lost) an older African grey goose at a church. They reached out and brought him to us as we have other domesticated geese, mallards/ducks, chickens and a crew of regular visiting wild Canadians. 30+ birds at all times. He is very friendly. You can pet and hold him but he won't stop honking. He just roams around honking constantly. Almost like he's looking for someone. The other birds aren't mean, he sometimes walks amoung them, sometimes wanders alone, but always honking. Is there anything we can do to stop this or help him? Sometimes I think he is sad, other times I think he is 'special' (childlike or something)? We are at a loss.

He may be calling for his mate. Geese form very strong pair bonds. I once saw a Canada gander stand by the body of his road killed mate for 5 days. :welcome
We were thinking either his mate or his ex-owner. Their bonds are strong. A Canadian goose broke his wing in a fight on our land. He can no longer fly. Been 2 years and his mate shows up almost everyday and leaves at night. He calls for her everytime she leaves. She is usually with 10 others but sometimes comes solo. It's very bitter sweet.

He definitely is mourning/ pining for someone he’s lost. Considering how tame he is he had a strong relationship with a human and he misses them, possibly a mate also if he had one.

He is feeling sad and lonely, only time can start to heal his emotional wounds. He may bond with another goose if given time, you can help him by giving him some extra TLC also as he may need some human affection too.

They say that they mate for life. It for sure sounds like it is missing it's mate or person it bonded with. I am so happy to hear you are caring for it. Hopefully soon it will be more quieter being around new friends.

Back
Top Bottom