Sad Guinea? Sits alone

Vonnie7

Chirping
Apr 25, 2021
I am concerned. We have 7 hens, 1 rooster, and 7 guineas. One female guinea has taken to staying in the coop alone with her back facing me when I enter. This has gone on for 3 days now. By afternoon, I force her out of the coop. She does not hang out with the others. The only difference in her environment is that we lost one of our two roosters. Could she be mourning the rooster? She hasn’t really been foraging so if I put food out, she will nibble. Any ideas what she is not hanging out with the chickens or other guineas? Things I might try? If you have advice, I sure would appreciate it. I love my guineas so!

I suppose this is possible, though I haven’t seen any bad behavior. If I notice this, what can I do? I can’t imagine they would ostracize a female!

I suppose this is possible, though I haven’t seen any bad behavior. If I notice this, what can I do? I can’t imagine they would ostracize a female!
How old are your guineas? Has she had a mate? I had a guinea hen that didn’t have a guinea cock, so she bonded with our bachelor roosters and even bred them. Did she hang out with your rooster?

Yes, she sometimes hung with the rooster. So maybe mourning? Though we have 3 guinea hens and four guinea cocks. So I would have thought one of them would want her! I’ve been forcing her out of the coop. She is eating but not going out very far to forage like the others. Any ideas? How can I make her desirable to the males? Bows? Perfume? Lol. Seriously, any ideas? All are about 1 1/2 years old. I am very attached (more than my chickens) as they are so entertaining!

Yes, she sometimes hung with the rooster. So maybe mourning? Though we have 3 guinea hens and four guinea cocks. So I would have thought one of them would want her! I’ve been forcing her out of the coop. She is eating but not going out very far to forage like the others. Any ideas? How can I make her desirable to the males? Bows? Perfume? Lol. Seriously, any ideas? All are about 1 1/2 years old. I am very attached (more than my chickens) as they are so entertaining!
Maybe she’s mourning, or maybe she is ill? My mourning birds will call and call for their lost mates for a few days, then give up the calling. However, I’m wondering if she could be staying away from the rest because she’s ill. Is she laying eggs? You mentioned they she’s eating but not eating a lot… Can you weigh her weekly and see if she’s losing weight? Any labored breathing? Eyes bright and normal? Do her feet and toes look good with no bumble foot or frostbite? Crop feel normal and emptying overnight?

She calls, but very quietly. I need to be near to hear her. She appears healthy. At times, I’ve seen other guineas poke their head in the coop as if to ask, “Are you coming?” Sometimes she tags along but stays about 15 feet away. They do not let me carry. I have no idea on weight, but looks robust and similar weight to the others.

Back
Top Bottom