In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2022
Northern Indiana
1000004640.jpg
1000004636.jpg
1000004637.jpg
1000004638.jpg

1000004625.jpg

Hi, this is my sweetheart Opal, this spring she lost a lot of feathers on head and neck, she watch twitching and scratching at her face to where she caused a slight cut/ injured under her right eye (light pink puff on S/E corner, but it isnt infected, and is healed.

But my issue is this, these are her updated photos of today, that she is losing her feathers again.

The last time she was quite broady and seemed anxious, she's started to do both again, but she's not scratching.

I have bought otc for mites and do a regular spray of chickens and after cleaning coop, and haven't noticed any mites at vent or anywhere else on bodies of chickens.

I found backyardchickens website in the spring about amoxicillin and wanted to see if she had a sickness that could cause this, so I divided up the 875 MG of amoxicillin and deleted it in water then gave it to her by a syringe (I cannot fathom how much it was and can't find it now), but after a week of every other day, she wasn't anxious and her feathers all grew back for the rest of the summer, but here we go again.

But she isn't scratching (that I've noticed) or head twitching/shaking before scratching.

What's wrong with her?

I did google about her and found this:

"Note: The breeds with beards and muffs such as Ameraucanas, Easter Eggers and Faverolles seem to be the most common victims of feather pulling. If it's fall and the feather loss started around the head and neck area and is moving down the body fairly evenly toward the tail, then your flock is probably molting.Oct 3, 2019
1701379057749.png

https://www.hobbyfarms.com › feat...

Feather Loss in Chickens? It Might Not Be Molting"

Can this just be a breed habit, but if so, why did it die when I medicated her? Or was it a coincidence?​

I'd like to give her amoxicillin again, but I can't remember the amount of the 875mg pill and how much in liquid form after resolved.​

What's your thought?​

Anxiously waiting and worrying. 🥺

Thank you! 🤗

Staci​

I would treat for mites and lice. Treat weekly for 4 weeks to break the life cycle. Also treat the coop. If that doesn't help I would guess other birds are plucking her. That was my experiences when I had a couple of faverolle in a mixed flock. They always got their beards plucked out.

Antibiotics won't help unless she's acting sick. Those are best used for a respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom