salmon faverolles disposition

cray4en

Songster
11 Years
Jul 24, 2008
Hi everyone,

I just got chickens this year. I had them before but the neighbor's dogs had to have lunch so now I have a enclosed pen inside a fenced back yard but that's not why I'm writing.

Starting over, I read a lot about chicken breeds before I chose to buy the variety mix of feather footed fancies from mm hatchery. I got one salmon faverolle in the batch and she has turned out to be my favorite over the Cochins. She has the best disposition, friendly to me, lets me pick her up, and doesn't walk away from me. She hasn't had any extra care then any of the others but is beyond very friendly. I have kids and don't want them flogged. Here's my question...Is it just her or are all faverolles that way? Would any of you who have this breed let me know more about them? I'm thinking about buying more faverolles next spring since she is so sweet and getting rid of most of the others. What do you think?

thanks,

cray

I have done a lot of research on Favs...I don't have one, but I learned that they are almost always at the bottom of the pecking order when you have several breeds in the chicken yard. For that reason, if it were me, I would get only Favs.

My own experience with assorted breeds has led me to the point of only wanting one breed because different breeds have different dispositions from very dominant and bossy to very docile and submissive. I personally can't stand to see a docile chicken getting beat up by a dominant one.

If you are wanting faverolles, then you might want to consider just that breed alone or expect that they will get picked on by others.

I am fairly new to owning chickens. I have a Blue-salmon Faverolle roo and he is the sweetest guy. He was so skittish at first when I got him at 5 months, but after I saved him from a major scuffle with my other roo, he has warmed up to me quite nicely. He lets me pick him up and never runs from me or charges me. He will do the dominant roo dance but I just pet his back, laugh and tell him "yes sweetie you are the dominant one." I think it is their temperament, at least that is what I have been told.

They are sweet. Mine have done well with other breeds that have nice temperaments. My Dorkings were even more gentle. They also did well with my partridge rocks and speckled Sussex.

Faverolles are perhaps the most gentle breed you could ever want or have Their temperment is the same regardless of what is going on The roos are not aggresive and will not get you or anybody else that happens to walk into the yard or around them They wont get you even in the middle of the breeding season I have 3 grown roos and they are the most gentle things I have or have ever been around But when they crow you know they are there They have a very dominant voice The hens are the same way..not the crow Extremly gentle and easy to get along with This is one breed that I would recommend to anybody with or without children You will love them

Mike
big_smile.png

Mine were skittish as chicks but they were in with about 60 other chicks of 8 different breeds. Now that they are grown a bit at 5 months old they are super friendly and have a very sweet nature. I really like them and have a few chicks starting right now since DD likes their temperament. Of course, she seems to like all the sweet breeds!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom