salmonella?

completetechhead

Hatching
Mar 29, 2023
My hen has just recently been producing white liquid diarrhoea. She his going through a stage of replacing feathers. There is no lethargic nature or swelling etc. She looks a perfectly healthy hen, apart from diarrhoea....
Can any suggest the reason for this? Is this salmonella or another disease? If so then how shall I treat it?

It is hard to diagnose diseases by just how the poops look. Can you post a picture of the droppings? The white is urates or chicken pee, and when they are increased the chicken might be dehydrated or have another problem. Salmonella is fairly rare nowadays, but you could always try to have your vet do a fecal float. I would try to encourage her to drink more, and I mix up some chicken feed with a lot of water to get more into her. Molting is stressful on them, and they are less active and have poor appetites. Some scrambled egg or bits of tuna are good high protein snacks in moderation.

Thankyou for your response. She is looking much better today, no white liquid diarrhoea. We have a sunny spell in England so she is soaking that in! Acting like our other 2 hens so hopefully back to top health!

Back
Top Bottom