Salpingitis cured!

Melissa C

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2022
I thought I'd post what I did to clear up my hen's salpingitis. She was laying lash eggs and quite big ones for some time. I thought I was going to lose her but she seems to be making a full recovery and I thought I'd share in case it can help anyone else. Here's what I did: twice/day I made a concoction of .5 mL of oregano oil (to fight the infection if it was viral), 1/4 teaspoon Manuka honey, 1.5 mL nutridrench (when she was super sick and losing so much weight), as well as 1/2 tablet Baytril (an antibiotic.) I did this for 10 days straight twice/day except I stopped using the Manuka honey about 1/2 way through and switched to regular honey (less than 1/4 teaspoon.) I think the combo of all of these things seemed to work. I syringed it into her mouth. (She did not like it.) She hasn't laid any more lash eggs. I'm doubtful that she'll lay eggs again but I'm glad she didn't die. I hope this helps people looking for an effective treatment. (I added oregano oil and Manuka honey because the oregano oil has strong anti-viral properties and Manuka honey has strong anti bacterial properties. I read a trial that was done with Oregano oil to fight E. coli and based my dosage on the info in the trial.) My hen weighs about 4-5 pounds so .5mL twice/day was the dosage for her. I totally winged the Manuka honey dosage giving her 1/4 tsp twice/day for 5 days. Then I switched to regular honey in part because the Manuka honey I have was incredibly expensive. (I used it in the past to help treat a MRSA infection.)

I thought I'd post what I did to clear up my hen's salpingitis. She was laying lash eggs and quite big ones for some time. I thought I was going to lose her but she seems to be making a full recovery and I thought I'd share in case it can help anyone else. Here's what I did: twice/day I made a concoction of .5 mL of oregano oil (to fight the infection if it was viral), 1/4 teaspoon Manuka honey, 1.5 mL nutridrench (when she was super sick and losing so much weight), as well as 1/2 tablet Baytril (an antibiotic.) I did this for 10 days straight twice/day except I stopped using the Manuka honey about 1/2 way through and switched to regular honey (less than 1/4 teaspoon.) I think the combo of all of these things seemed to work. I syringed it into her mouth. (She did not like it.) She hasn't laid any more lash eggs. I'm doubtful that she'll lay eggs again but I'm glad she didn't die. I hope this helps people looking for an effective treatment. (I added oregano oil and Manuka honey because the oregano oil has strong anti-viral properties and Manuka honey has strong anti bacterial properties. I read a trial that was done with Oregano oil to fight E. coli and based my dosage on the info in the trial.) My hen weighs about 4-5 pounds so .5mL twice/day was the dosage for her. I totally winged the Manuka honey dosage giving her 1/4 tsp twice/day for 5 days. Then I switched to regular honey in part because the Manuka honey I have was incredibly expensive. (I used it in the past to help treat a MRSA infection.)
How is she doing now?

She’s doing great! She’s back with the flock, eating well and no more diarrhea. Haven’t seen anymore lash eggs either. Fingers crossed that she remains healthy.

Hi there! Not sure where you live. I am in Wisconsin and trying to figure out where you can buy these ingredients. I have a chicken that I believe laid a lash egg about 3 days ago. She is finishing a hard molt, acting normal and I haven't seen anything else so far. I have been putting Vet Rx in her water because that is the only thing I can get in a store around me.

Hi there! Not sure where you live. I am in Wisconsin and trying to figure out where you can buy these ingredients. I have a chicken that I believe laid a lash egg about 3 days ago. She is finishing a hard molt, acting normal and I haven't seen anything else so far. I have been putting Vet Rx in her water because that is the only thing I can get in a store around me.
A whole foods store should carry Manuka honey and oregano oil, and someplace like Oregon Farm Center Inc should carry something similar to the Nutridrench or Poultry Cell. Not sure what would be in your area...

A whole foods store should carry Manuka honey and oregano oil, and someplace like Oregon Farm Center Inc should carry something similar to the Nutridrench or Poultry Cell. Not sure what would be in your area...
Yes, agreed. I ordered the manuka honey and the nutridrench online. I got the oregano oil from my local health food store though I’m sure you can also order it. I got the Baytril from my local vet - you’ll probably need to get the antibiotics from a vet.

Yes, agreed. I ordered the manuka honey and the nutridrench online. I got the oregano oil from my local health food store though I’m sure you can also order it. I got the Baytril from my local vet - you’ll probably need to get the antibiotics from a vet.
How is she doing now? Mine just laid a lash egg today. She's 8 months old and has been laying for a couple months now. I think one yolk broke inside her

How is she doing now? Mine just laid a lash egg today. She's 8 months old and has been laying for a couple months now. I think one yolk broke inside her
@arubio92 Welcome To BYC

I see that one of your hens may be having some difficulties and you've quoted posts for responses on several threads that are months old and the Posters may not even be active and see your questions.

Often to get responses, it's best to start your own thread - include information like symptoms, age of bird, what you feed along with photos of the hen, her poop and any material she has expelled -like the lash egg.

If your hen did indeed lay a Lash Egg (Salpingitis), then you you can try treating her with an antibiotic. You also mention you think a yolk broke inside her - so there's 2 problems or events? She laid lash material, then yolk (no albumen/whites or membrane) was expelled from the vent?

1702870546552.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom