Salt Lake City - new ordinance, pretty good!

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
Salt Lake City has a new chicken ordinance. I have not seen the final text of the ordinance, which was passed December 1. I will post the text when it is available. For all of the hullabaloo when the ordinance was being considered, the media really dropped the ball when the final ordinance was passed!

My understanding of the ordinance is as below.
• If you meet the old ordinance (50' distance from your home and neighbors), you can still have 25 chickens, I believe including roosters.
• If you do not meet the old ordinance, there are new improved exceptions!
• You can have 15 chickens if the coop and run can be 25' from your neighbors. Hens only.
• There is no stipulation about your own house. (Did anyone tell the city council about house-chickens? Shhh...)
wink.png

• Multi-family homes can also have chickens, but I don't yet know the details of how this went in.
• The biggest downside, in my opinion, is that you have to pay $5 per chicken ANNUALLY for a permit. Now, given that a chick costs around $2 - 2.50, this seems a little weird. That's like taxing you double the cost of your car just to register it! This permit fee is capped at $40.

You're also not supposed to slaughter, but that's because of Salt Lake County regulations.

Well we keep making inroads... that's a good thing.

There was some negative reactions here about the "coop" tour held here last Saturday, but all in all I think it was a positive thing for us.

Quote:
Who do you have to register your chickens with? Is it somewhere specific with the city or just through county animal services?

Back
Top Bottom