Sand additives?

Loving the ease of the sand in the coop-what (if anything) should I be adding to the sand (DE, lime, ash etc). I've seen so many approaches, but am confused at this point). TYIA!
Are you using multi purpose sand? I bought some today because I couldn't find anything that said "construction sand" and I was confused about which one to buy. I have some under their perch in the coop but have not put any outside yet. I want to make a little dust bath area for them but I don't want it to turn to muck when it gets wet.

I don't want it to turn to muck when it gets wet.
Sand does not turn into muck. That speaks for all sand.
All purpose sand is just fine for what you want it for. Construction sand is just a coarse grade of sand. It is sometimes referred to by other names, in the bulk sand yards, like TORPEDO,,, or concrete grade sand. (may be a regional name version) :idunno
Only sand I don't recommend, would be very fine sand, such as used for tuckpointing. It tends to be the most dusty. That still would not turn into muck regardless.

I also used sand, I bought a big bag 1000lb of it at my local Lowes store as we don't have access to it by the truck load in my area, and I add construction or all purpose from time to time when it needs it. I do mix in DE with mine but that is just a personal preference as my girls love to dust bathe and I've never had problems with bugs or other issues so I just keep adding a little each time I add my other bags of sand. We "collect" the poop every day and use it in our compost area. Our run is covered but driving rain will get it wet but dries out within a day or 2 when the sun pops out.

Last edited:
Sand does not turn into muck. That speaks for all sand.
All purpose sand is just fine for what you want it for. Construction sand is just a coarse grade of sand. It is sometimes referred to by other names, in the bulk sand yards, like TORPEDO,,, or concrete grade sand. (may be a regional name version) :idunno
Only sand I don't recommend, would be very fine sand, such as used for tuckpointing. It tends to be the most dusty. That still would not turn into muck regardless.
Thanks for your reply! I bought some all purpose construction sand and put it in their run but they really like the dusty clay sand that is natural to the area. Seems way too light but they get in it all the time. I don't think they like the courser sand I put in their run. I hope it's ok they're in that stuff but they love it.

Back
Top Bottom