Sand-coffee hybrid bedding?

Alvie

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2024
I’ve got some week old chicks for the first time and am doing my research into what type of bedding works best for a coop. I have access to river sand but am also interested in trying out coffee grounds. Unfortunately bulk bags of grounds aren’t available in my area so I would just recycle the coffee I use at home. If I slowly added these grounds to a base of sand, would that work as a hybrid style bedding? Are there any rules against mixing bedding types?

I use sand in my coop and have added used coffee grounds from the local Starbucks. My younger birds and regular chickens don’t seem to mind or care. I haven’t seen any odd behaviors or issues. So works for me!

Unfortunately bulk bags of grounds aren’t available in my area so I would just recycle the coffee I use at home.
They don't seem to be producing the coffee ground bedding any longer.

I would avoid using coffee with chicks only because they are still figuring out what is good to eat because they don't have a mother hen to show them. There is still residual caffeine in the grounds and a chick could die from eating too much of it.

I have used coffee ground bedding on the poop boards in my coop with my adult flock and had zero issues. I also got Grounds for Gardens from Starbucks to dry and use for bedding. It's nearly impossible to dry it enough for storage. I'd spread it out in a large tote in the blazing sun and stir it all day, cover it with plastic overnight to protect it and stir again the following day. It looked dry. But after a week in the storage tote when I opened it to get a few scoops for the boards, the inside of the container was covered in condensate and the grounds had started to mold.

For chicks, I use large disposable potty pads the first three days then switch to pine bedding, the same thing I use for coop bedding. The only batch of chicks I got after the original flock grew to adults were brooded in the coop in a build in brooder so they were raised with the adults. You can use whatever dry, absorbent, low dust bedding you want. I never liked using sand as it added more dust to an already dusty environment.

I wouldn’t use coffee grounds for peeps either. Experienced chick raisers all have their own preferred method depending on whats available for a reasonable price.

I only had chicks with broodies. In the nest where they sleep I always have two layers: hay on top and garden sand/clay mixed with diatomaceous earth below.

The floor in front of the nest where the water and feed is, shouldn't be slippery for the newly hatched 🐣 peeps . For the first week I used old towels. After that natural sand/clay from the garden mixed with playground sand.

They don't seem to be producing the coffee ground bedding any longer.

I would avoid using coffee with chicks only because they are still figuring out what is good to eat because they don't have a mother hen to show them. There is still residual caffeine in the grounds and a chick could die from eating too much of it.

I have used coffee ground bedding on the poop boards in my coop with my adult flock and had zero issues. I also got Grounds for Gardens from Starbucks to dry and use for bedding. It's nearly impossible to dry it enough for storage. I'd spread it out in a large tote in the blazing sun and stir it all day, cover it with plastic overnight to protect it and stir again the following day. It looked dry. But after a week in the storage tote when I opened it to get a few scoops for the boards, the inside of the container was covered in condensate and the grounds had started to mold.

For chicks, I use large disposable potty pads the first three days then switch to pine bedding, the same thing I use for coop bedding. The only batch of chicks I got after the original flock grew to adults were brooded in the coop in a build in brooder so they were raised with the adults. You can use whatever dry, absorbent, low dust bedding you want. I never liked using sand as it added more dust to an already dusty environment.
Thanks, yes I should have clarified I’m just looking into the grounds for when they are older and in the coop outside. They’ve got paper towels and shredded paper bedding in their brooder for now 😊

Thanks for the heads up on storage, when the time comes I may just take freshly dehydrated grounds from the households daily coffee use and replenish the coop when needed/ as I clean.

Back
Top Bottom