Sand in Coop? Coarse sand?

Ahernaa8045

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
Hi everyone!

I am a new chicken mom of 4 silkies and I wanted to know if anyone uses sand inside their chicken coop? I heard a lot of good things about it (especially for smaller chicken coops). Their run is just grass and dirt, and I haven’t thought about putting sand there yet. I am mostly just wondering if it would be a good idea for their chicken coop. However, finding medium to coarse washed construction sand has been more difficult than I thought it would be. I found some the other day from Grey Goose, and I dried it up to see what it looks like. I have not put it in their coop yet, since I’m afraid it’s not the right one. I don’t want them to eat it and get sick. I posted a picture in this same thread and I wanted to know if this would be the right sand for a chicken coop?

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    928.6 KB · Views: 178
Course sand is just fine... What you have is fine as well. If chickens do pick thru it and eat small pebbles,, that is just what they need to grind their seeds in their gizzard. (that is called GRIT)
Construction sand should be easy to locate. It is the sand used to make concrete. Find a location of Ready-mixed Concrete Service, and ask to purchase your desired quantity.
Sand is good to scoop out the chicken gumdrops with a kitty litter scooper.

It just seems that chicken owners are divided on the subject of sand.. Its like the Hatfield's, and McCoy's.. Half like it,, and other half don't. I am with the LIKES. :thumbsup
Your climate, and moisture level, and humidity has much to do with it. If you are in a wet area, and cold winter freezes wet floor,, then sand not ideal. If your floor stays dry most of the time,, then sand much better.
I myself use deep bedding. It differs from deep litter,,, as to not become a compost pile on my coop floor.

Your chicken run having green grass will soon become grass free. That is of course dependent on size of your run. Chickens will nibble away the green grass,, as well as scratch it to no end. You may choose to introduce sand into your run at that time. Make sure that your run is well drained, as to not be a puddle area. Sand drains well, but must be graded to provide run-off. If your land is sloped, (slightly) that is ideal .

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Course sand is just fine... What you have is fine as well. If chickens do pick thru it and eat small pebbles,, that is just what they need to grind their seeds in their gizzard. (that is called GRIT)
Construction sand should be easy to locate. It is the sand used to make concrete. Find a location of Ready-mixed Concrete Service, and ask to purchase your desired quantity.
Sand is good to scoop out the chicken gumdrops with a kitty litter scooper.

It just seems that chicken owners are divided on the subject of sand.. Its like the Hatfield's, and McCoy's.. Half like it,, and other half don't. I am with the LIKES. :thumbsup
Your climate, and moisture level, and humidity has much to do with it. If you are in a wet area, and cold winter freezes wet floor,, then sand not ideal. If your floor stays dry most of the time,, then sand much better.
I myself use deep bedding. It differs from deep litter,,, as to not become a compost pile on my coop floor.

Your chicken run having green grass will soon become grass free. That is of course dependent on size of your run. Chickens will nibble away the green grass,, as well as scratch it to no end. You may choose to introduce sand into your run at that time. Make sure that your run is well drained, as to not be a puddle area. Sand drains well, but must be graded to provide run-off. If your land is sloped, (slightly) that is ideal .

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Thank you so much! This was very helpful!!

Back
Top Bottom