Sand in Coop - How to Reuse?

CochinLady61

Chirping
Oct 21, 2020
Kansas
I started a new coop and added about 2 to 2.5 inches of sand to the floor. I love how easy it is to keep clean. Raking the solids out every day or every other day is a breeze. I also top off the poop board with sand, which has made scraping it a breeze! :)

I am looking for suggestions on how the dirty sand is handled after scooping. I had to purchase a minimum of 3 tons of sand to get started, so I have a small stockpile of "clean" sand, but with the wind and weather, that pile is spreading out and getting harder to wrangle into buckets for use in the coop to replenish what has been collected along with feathers and manure.

Here is my view/suggestion. The spent sand you can just throw out into outdoor run area.
The pile of fresh sand, should be tarped over, to keep from weather spreading, and wet,,,,,, and frozen.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I started a new coop and added about 2 to 2.5 inches of sand to the floor. I love how easy it is to keep clean. Raking the solids out every day or every other day is a breeze. I also top off the poop board with sand, which has made scraping it a breeze! :)

I am looking for suggestions on how the dirty sand is handled after scooping. I had to purchase a minimum of 3 tons of sand to get started, so I have a small stockpile of "clean" sand, but with the wind and weather, that pile is spreading out and getting harder to wrangle into buckets for use in the coop to replenish what has been collected along with feathers and manure.
Можно просеять, что то использовать в огород, компост и часть добавлять повторно.

We chip our own wood chips...to store them, I fill empty feed sacks with the chips and tap the top down/shut. I then lean them upright against the exterior coop walls. Sand will be heavier to carry, in an unsealed bag, when needed, but you could empty into bucket or wheelbarrow to transport. At least the storage part would be contained and not spreading.

Our poop boards contain PDZ instead of sand. We then compost the poop board scoopings.

I am looking for suggestions on how the dirty sand is handled after scooping.
There's not much value there.
Once sand becomes saturated with pulverized poops it can reek when damp/wet.
I used it in the brooder when I first started with chickens, after a couple batches of chicks I took it all out and used it to fill holes in the yard.

I have the same problems. My quail love the sand as do I. Eggs are almost always spotlessly clean and the birds are so happy with their sand baths, but it gets so stinky, even when I sift it. I sift every time I go out to get eggs or feed them and it still gets gross. I have 100 hens and 20 roos ( 2 birds per square foot all outside and mostly open) and boy I go through a lot of sand. I mix in PDZ once per week and even that is short lived. Is sand cleanable, and how would you go about doing it? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1210231447a_Burst01.jpg
    1210231447a_Burst01.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have the same problems. My quail love the sand as do I. Eggs are almost always spotlessly clean and the birds are so happy with their sand baths, but it gets so stinky, even when I sift it. I sift every time I go out to get eggs or feed them and it still gets gross. I have 100 hens and 20 roos ( 2 birds per square foot all outside and mostly open) and boy I go through a lot of sand. I mix in PDZ once per week and even that is short lived. Is sand cleanable, and how would you go about doing it? Any ideas?
I'm sure it is cleanable to a certain point. You would need a container with a screen bottom, so after you washed it out as well as possible, lift out and drain/ dry. I know the sand at the supply Yard claims to be washed. I don't know the process used, but imagine water is somehow used to rinse out undesired impurities.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

We got a scoop sifting attachment on etsy for a telescoping pole, and just scoop it (think giant litter box). I scoop 3 times a week and it takes me about 5 mins. We dump it into a 5 gallon bucket and carry it out to our small compost pile. I don't expect to have to refill the sand for years.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom