Sapphire Olive Egger Egg Laying Journey

Also we lost that one hen. I have 5 SOE hens from the original 6. Tinki died a day after my post in August 2023.
I’m so sorry to hear that! Poor Tinki! :hugs

I just started reading your SOE journey. I hope the rest of your flock, including your new chicks have long healthy lives with you! What breed/s are your new additions?

I’m so sorry to hear that! Poor Tinki! :hugs

I just started reading your SOE journey. I hope the rest of your flock, including your new chicks have long healthy lives with you! What breed/s are your new additions?
Thank you. She was my favorite.

I decided to add four different breeds, one of each, Barnevelder, Black Australorp, Cuckoo Marans, and a Speckled Sussex. These are all similar in size to my SOEs and I'll be able to tell them all apart from a greater distance. Plus a few of them are standard breeds that my son can show at the poultry show this fall. He fell in love with the idea of showing a chicken, and I am totally on board. 😊

Last edited:
Fyi, my SOE that molted, her feathers are coming back in nicely and yesterday she laid her first egg in just over a month. The egg is much smaller than her eggs were prior to the onset of the molt, on the smaller size of medium grade. But I'm excited that she's laying again. My husband is now giving eggs to friends, so I'm glad to have more coming.

I started stockpiling eggs in October, and I'm finally down to 4 dozen, less than a month old. So I am not feeding our family as much egg salad. 😂 I have two people that I regularly give eggs and we've still been able to keep up. I also started making my own mayonnaise!

I also wanted to note that my lightest SOE that went through the molt also has spurs. No claws on them, just long nubs. None of the others have them.

Here are the ladies last week.
1000007879.jpg

Back
Top Bottom