SAW RATS IN MY COOP! Will Mint harm chickens

Decon was the only thing that I found that worked.

Poison is a dangerous proposition around chickens... Rats/mice are known to carry food and stash it in places, if the chickens happen to find a stash of poison it can be lethal... Also chickens can and do kill rats/mice and if they consume the poisoned rat/mouse again it can be lethal...

I had rat problems with my coop on the farm I grew up on, getting rid of them can be very difficult. I've had friends with rats from their coop getting into their house and causing lots of stink and damage. if they have an unlimited supply of food they will multiply faster than rabbits. consider using one of those feeders that the chicken has to step on to open, and/or remove the food at night. they have been known to even eat chicken droppings. the very best solution I've found is to line the coop with 1/2 inch galvanized hardware cloth, sides, ceiling and floor. you don't have to go under the coop, but if you don't , it's recommended to go two feet down and at a 45 degree angle away from the coop all around the perimieter, that way predators that dig will lose ground as they go down, often deterring them. the upside is that by making one's coop rat proof, you pretty well keep out all the other unwanted critters as well.

Last edited:
You would probably need more like a garbage can of water, and regardless rats can stay afloat/swim for up to 3 days, so they are not going to drown anytime soon after they fall in...
Sadly, I have a very vivid imagination - I just saw in my head, rats having a pool party in the garbage can. Doing the back float, water wings, little floaty pads and having a grand old time.
gig.gif

I think I'll just stick with poisoning them if we get another outbreak.

hello I too had, yes I said HAD rats in our chicken coop. However, I believe that I have got rid of them. I found up to 8 holes leading from inside my coop to the areas around into the yard. I tired sending water down holes. did not work. I tried bait traps, they walked over it. I started by removing chicken food. Then I went and filled all the holes with rocks and dog chewed dog bones. I then went to Lowes Hardware store and got an Rat Repellent soundwave system. I set up two down about 4 inches from the floor. I set them up inside large butter containers to keep them rain proof. I went out last night( midnight) I no rat holes. I again went out this morning and now rat holes. I went to the coop tonight and no rat holes.
This seems to do the trick. Much better then replacing the dirt floor with wire cloth. Total cost $29.99 each system. I needed a system that I could do myself (56 yr old lady) I really did not want to dig up my 20 x20 coop floor to put down wire cloth.
This was easy and only needed a few adjustments as to placement. Once you know where you want to set, plug in and ready to go.
hope this helps

I then went to Lowes Hardware store and got an Rat Repellent soundwave system.

Be aware that these sound systems effectiveness diminishes with use as the animals become accustomed to it, kind of like people that live next to train tracks or near airports tune out the noise that would drive many others crazy...

I found up to 8 holes leading from inside my coop to the areas around into the yard. I tired sending water down holes. did not work. I tried bait traps, they walked over it. I started by removing chicken food. Then I went and filled all the holes with rocks and dog chewed dog bones.

I have never had an issue like that, and this is not all that user friendly, but I would love to give it a go :) Real life Caddy Shack solution

Propane? "check"
Oxygen? "check"
Spark? "check"
*POOF* no more tunnels...

[VIDEO]

As Meep says, it's very likely that your rat population will decide that the new 'soundwave system' is an irritation that they can live with. Rats are very smart! Let us know how it's working as time passes. Mary

Back
Top Bottom