Scale leg mites

Where do u get it
Most feed stores have it, or on line. I am NEVER without it! I’ve used it on all my animals and us. It’s just sulphur and pine tar. It’s made for lacerations. But it really sticks. Sulphur is an antibiotic and ant-fungal. Great stuff

This is Ariel my 6 month old light Brahma hen. She is so sweet. If y’all don’t know light brahmas have feathers on there feet. I did deal with scale leg mites in the past with my grandma chickens but now since I have a flock of my own I haven’t had to worry. To me these don’t look like scale leg mites but I am not sure. Are these scale leg mites? View attachment 2385160View attachment 2385161

Thank u so much. I was confused bc she had since she was a chick. And I have 2 other birds with feathered feet that look like that and it the same area I have 5 clean legged ones that are smooth. So that’s why I didn’t think it was scaley leg mites.
Hi @Morgk As posted, it may not be SLM, but @coach723 has given a good suggestion. It will not hurt one bit to apply oil or cream to the legs to help condition them and as a bonus, if SLM are beginning to be a problem, application of treatment of choice will take care of those too:)
Some feather footed/legged birds can have gnarly scales due to the feather growth, so it may only be that. It won't hurt to do a soak, gently clean them up, and apply vegetable oil and then cover with vaseline or nu stock ointment as treatment in case there is a early case of scaly leg mites. The ointment will attract dirt and look yucky, but it won't hurt anything. If you notice a build up of hard, crusty stuff under the scales, or any scale loss, then that would be more evidence of mites.

Back
Top Bottom