Scale mites??

SingularRoozilla

In the Brooder
May 30, 2023
I had to take in some chickens from a family member recently, who was not able to care for them due to an ongoing situation. Turns out, their chickens had the worst scale mites I’ve ever seen. The scales had actually popped off and the skin was dotted with scabs. One of them is also bald and I worry about feather mites (though she’s at least 5yrs old, probably older)

Unfortunately I don’t have the space to keep them separate from my own chicks, so I treated the whole flock of 20+ for them with ivermectin and Vaseline. I gave them all a drop of ivermectin topically last Monday, have been applying Vaseline every other day since then, and dosed with ivermectin again yesterday. If I continue with the Vaseline for the rest of this week, will that be enough to get rid of the mites? I really don’t want to deal with these suckers on a recurring basis and I cannot stress enough how awful they were in the chickens I recently got. They had clearly had them for a very very long time. Fortunately their legs look a lot less crusty than they did and I think they’re on the mend.

I gave them all a drop of ivermectin topically last Monday, have been applying Vaseline every other day since then, and dosed with ivermectin again yesterday.

You'll want to apply the vaseline for more than a week.

Ivermectin Pour On dose is 0.09ml per pound of weight, applied to the base of the neck along the spine making sure to come into contact with the skin. Repeat in 10 days.
Unlikely 1 drop on each bird was effective in any way.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/treating-scaly-leg-mites-slm-what-you-need-to-know.77376/

Back
Top Bottom