Scales never recovering from potential SLM

peachesperry

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2022
Hi everyone! I have a question for people who have dealt with SLM before. In the fall someone had pointed out in a reddit thread that my 2/3 chickens had raised scales and I should assume Scaly Leg Mites. I did my research and did the oil dip method plus i cleaned their coop excessively and added Permithrin (spell check lol) to it. I completed three weeks of daily Canola oil dippings and waited for the scales to decrease. Things did not improve nor did they get worse. I was confused so I did another round of treatment. During the ladies began to molt and I let it be thinking the scales would improve via molting. It did not. I am in the process of introducing 4 news pullets into my flock and my anxieties kicked in thinking I was a horrible owner for not ensuring the scales had diminished. My suspicions of there being permanent raised scales are that 1 of my chickens never showed the same raised scales as the other two, and the other two have remained exactly the same aesthetics throughout winter into spring. Has anyone else been in a situation like this? Am I just neurotic about Scaly Leg Mites?

Here is my barred rock, Perry. Again, her scales never really improved nor have they gotten worse.

Attachments

• barredrock.jpeg
    barredrock.jpeg
    683.3 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom