Scaley Leg - Active or recovering??

Zen Hen Momma

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2021
So here's mt sweet 10 month old Brahma. She just started laying- consistently for 2 weeks. I’ve been battling whatever this is for months. I’ve coated with Vaseline and olive oil multiple times. I’ve soaked and cleaned her up with vetericyn on the occasions when it’s bloody. Issue 2 is the lack of feathers...she and others pull them out. I’ve used Peck No More and that seems to have stopped the pecking since I haven’t seen any blood in a few weeks. They get 16% pellets, occasional worms, huge coop and run. They don’t free range but get outside time 15 minutes a day when I clean the coop. I only have 4 and she’s the only one that looks like this. Eating and pooping ok and sweet as ever. One picture looks like a knot under a follicle. I’m at a loss. I’ve heard that if it’s scaley leg the scales take months to return to normal but they looks so bad I don't know if she's in recovery mode or if there's something more going on now. I do see some tiny feathers poking out so maybe she’s on the mend? Any recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_4046.jpg
    IMG_4046.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4051.jpg
    IMG_4051.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4053.jpg
    IMG_4053.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4045.jpg
    IMG_4045.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4043.jpg
    IMG_4043.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4042.jpg
    IMG_4042.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 15
I don't think that's scale mites. I think that the other chickens picking at her foot and leg feathers has caused this. You might try increasing to a higher protein feed. Also, what kind of bedding are you using? Is the run staying dry? Is the run just dirt or do you have something else down?

I don't think that's scale mites. I think that the other chickens picking at her foot and leg feathers has caused this. You might try increasing to a higher protein feed. Also, what kind of bedding are you using? Is the run staying dry? Is the run just dirt or do you have something else down?
I have sand in the coop that is scooped daily and a partially covered dirt run that is dry.

Have you heard about a mixture of mineral oil and tea tree oil applied with a dropper? Someone on another forum suggested that.
I haven't. I'm sure there's all sorts of remedies that can be used. The best thing to do is figure out what you want to use, then stick with/be consistent with treating the legs. Continue for a while after you think they are completely healed.

Back
Top Bottom