Scaly leg mites on feathery footed rooster

LindsayRae

Songster
8 Years
Jun 16, 2015
Southern Pines, NC
I have a cochin rooster that has scaly leg mites under all those feathers. I did the warm soapy scrub and the vaseline smother. I kept him in a crate in our basement to dry up and so I can reapply the vaseline since that is what I read to do. He is not very friendly and a pain to catch. So, I am wondering what the signs are when the mites are gone or dead-- maybe to keep him in the crate until then?

Not a single hen of mine has the mites. . Is that common?

Also, when I was applying the vaseline it seemed like his feet were bleeding a little- Maybe the mites dying?

He is crowing in my basement now---while the hens get to sleep in for once :p

I would just keep up the treatment until legs start looking a bit better. The damage to his scales will not go away until they are replaced with new scales. All the yucky crust will go away when the mites do, though.

Pictures? They help a lot. I had a rooster with the same thing, the feathers didn’t grow much, and they would sometimes bleed (the feet).

@Overo Mare she helped me, maybe she can help
I will try and get pictures during the next vaseline slather. I gave him another coat before I put him back outside. He was worried about his hens, I think! I looked at his feet and where the dry skin came off from the bath -- it looks like a scrape/raw skin.

Back
Top Bottom