Scaly leg mites

Ladybug7252

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2021
Hello,
This is my first flock of chickens so please be kind. I noticed after evacuating from a large wildlife in our area, after I got my chickens back their scales were more raised. I’ve been treating them for scaly leg mites.
I have been soaking their feet with some natural dish soap/thieves and vinegar. Scrubbing lightly with toothbrush to remove dirt. Then dipping in olive oil and then costing in Vaseline. The chickens look so much better already. Their combs are back to dark red. I’ve disinfected the coop twice completely in one week.
My questions:
1) Do I keep doing the cleaning of their legs/Vaseline until their old scales fall off? (Lots have fallen off)
2) How often to completely disinfect the coop? Every week or? I am very OCD about cleaning their coop and keep it very clean. I’m out there scooping poop every second day.
3) What should I be doing with their chicken run? I replaced all the roosting bars (as they were wood) just incase and sprinkled DE on their dusting area.
Thank you everyone!! I love my chickens a lot and I’m a little anxious about any issues they have.

Hello ladybug,scale mites can be a problem but I’m glad you are keeping your coop clean u can actually gently try and help those scales fall off but they will on their own so if you keep washing them and applying Vaseline the mites will eventually die I believe there is also a type of medicine I don’t remember the brand name at the moment but it’s very good

Back
Top Bottom