scaly leg mites

sarajanem

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Hello! I'm looking for advice on how to handle INCREDIBLY persistent scaly leg mites. Over the past year my flock has been dealing with this and I feel like I have tried everything other than dunking their legs in gasoline every day for 1.5 weeks. Some of their legs are almost deformed by the mites at this point. I have tried cutting off the scales with wire cutters, drowning the mites every day in oil and/or water, applying petroleum jelly, diatomaceous earth all over the place... In the beginning, I even replaced a whole coop. Any ideas or advice?

The legs aren't going to heal overnight with treatment, quit messing with it. Wire cutters, for heavens sake.
Get some permethrine chicken dust/spray, clean out your coop, apply the product, put in entirely fresh bedding and litter. Treat the legs with ivermectin or permethrine and petroleum jelly.

Diatomaceous earth will do absolutely nothing. Ivermectin and jelly as mentioned above then spray EVERYTHING in your coop and around it with Permethrin.
Yea my chickens have leg mites too and diatomacious earth didnt really help at all. I got some Saturday Lime will that help?

The legs aren't going to heal overnight with treatment, quit messing with it. Wire cutters, for heavens sake.
Get some permethrine chicken dust/spray, clean out your coop, apply the product, put in entirely fresh bedding and litter. Treat the legs with ivermectin or permethrine and petroleum jelly.
It's been a year and a half--hardly overnight. People here told me to use wire cutters and it did/does help, otherwise they probably wouldn't even have legs by this point.

Back
Top Bottom