Scratty feathered chicken

AlexEve

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Last March my RIR started moulting a few feathers, with lots falling off and the tips of other feathers breaking off too. I assumed this was a molt because it started in the spring, but she still hasn’t grown new feathers. The only exposed skin now is a bit on her neck, and lots of fluffy underlying feathers are exposed as well. I don’t think molts last 4 whole months with no sign of new feathers, so is she sick or something?

Can you tell us what you feed and how much of each thing please?

Pics of the bird may help too.
All my birds eat 16% layer feed, but we occasionally throw in table scraps as well.
image.jpg

Molts usually occur in the fall rather than the spring. Have you checked her for mites and/or lice?

Is it possible that the other birds are picking at her feathers?
I don’t think it’s plucking. She is at the bottom of the pecking order, but I’ve never seen any birds deliberately pluck her feathers. I’m not sure about lice/mites though. How would I check for that?

Her feathers look weak. Her head feathers do look like plucking damage though.

Being a production breed perhaps putting them on a higher protein feed will help.
What I would try is feeding a 20% protein feed like flock raiser and have oyster shell in a dish near the feed for calcium since flock raiser is low in calcium.
I would keep them on a higher protein feed and not go back to a lower.

It takes a lot of nutrition to both make eggs and keep up those feathers.

Her feathers look weak. Her head feathers do look like plucking damage though.

Being a production breed perhaps putting them on a higher protein feed will help.
What I would try is feeding a 20% protein feed like flock raiser and have oyster shell in a dish near the feed for calcium since flock raiser is low in calcium.
I would keep them on a higher protein feed and not go back to a lower.

It takes a lot of nutrition to both make eggs and keep up those feathers.
Ah I just bought two more bags of 16%! I haven’t opened them yet so I’ll probably just exchange them for 20% bags. Thanks for the help!
And yea the head is where she’s pecked the most, never seen plucking though

Back
Top Bottom