SCREAMMM..Please Tell Me 1More Time WHICH FEED

1234duck

Songster
9 Years
Jan 6, 2011
Upper Lake, California
I Don't know why this is such a major problem for me, but I get so stressed every time its time to buy more food for my ducks. I for some reason never seem to buy the same/correct feed all the time. I always get a different type of feed never the same. I Now have (2) 50 lbs bags of chicken & hen scratch with cracked corn, red wheat & milo. And (2) 50 lb. bags of 16% lay crumble pak with oyster shell & cracked corn (1 bag is Lay mini pellet). }} My problem is I'm trying to feed... ~3 week old duckies ~9 week old duckies ~4week old chicks ~5 & 6 month old duck & chickens ~Adult ducks ~ Do I still use Start & Grow for the 3 week old ducks and 4 week old chicks?? Flock Raiser for the..... Layena? for..... PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO BUY! I can buy the Puriena Brand or what ever and if they don't have it i will only go to the store that DOES!! }}} Feed Store.. Not Pet Store{{{ THANKS in advance, ~Julie

Quote:
I believe I feed starter/grower till sixteen weeks when i fed layena, but since i use Flock raiser i only keep my ducks on starter/grower for 6 weeks. then i switch them to FR pellets. I tried the FR crumbles but my adult birds don't like the crumbles because it become like powder in no time, and my chickens eat the same as my ducks and goose. I do give my layers [ducks and chickens oyster shell on the side] I do give my fowl a scratch like what you have it's called 7 way made by Homestead. they get that in the fall and winter mixed 50lbs 7 way to 100 lbs. of FR. I hope I haven't made you more confused.

Feeding properly when young is very important for future health according to Holddreads book. Purina Flock Raiser is great if you have limited choices, until around 0-6-8 weeks. After that you don't want protein over 14-15%. Corn is low protein and will make them fat (not good around organs).Generally not more than 25%.... I use Flockraiser and cut it some for adults with oats or corn/milo and I add Niacin powder to the feed (from vitamin capsules).They also free range when older. When laying I give them poultry layer feed with some grain....layer isn't that good for the drakes, but they get to freerange or get some veggies and bugs(as many as they can catch...) If you buy "Storeys Guide to Ducks" it has tons of info on feed, and how to make your own mix if you want to.

I use Purina Flockraiser (20%) but I have noticed that a few of the ducks got angel wing because of the high protein, so I had to cut back on the protein. I would mix the Flockraiser with other ingredients to decrease the protein.

I'm the same as you. So many animals, so many ages, so many decisions!!!!
barnie.gif
hit.gif
That's why there is NO MORE HATCHING for me for the rest of the year!!!!!!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom