Screeching Hen

Clauryngodwin

Hatching
Jul 23, 2020
I have a hen who screeches VERY loudly every time I walk outside. She stops every time I get out to the coop. I think she is “calling” me out to the coop. The problem is that I live in city limits and am not supposed to have chickens. I have a large yard, with wooded areas between me and my neighbors so I got buff orpingtons and though I could get away with it. She is going to blow my cover!! Has anyone delt with this before and have a way to get her to stop the screeching? I have a video, here is a link to it on You Tube.

Last edited:
I had a Rhode Island Red that did something similar (of course, I can’t hear your bird’s noises but mine was a lot like “bwakkkkkk bwakkkkkkk!” And it was SO annoying. She did it when we got home every day from work, if we passed by the door that led outside (it is a glass door so she could see us), or just whenever she darn well felt like it. And she would go on and on and ON. I live in town and am allowed chickens, but I was so annoyed and also worried that once warm weather hit and windows opened, I would have a neighbor or two complain. We ended up rehoming her to a farm outside of town, so my solution isn’t exactly great. I just don’t think there’s a way to change it or get it to stop, so you may have to just deal with it or find her a new home. Hopefully others have some advice!

I had a Rhode Island Red that did something similar (of course, I can’t hear your bird’s noises but mine was a lot like “bwakkkkkk bwakkkkkkk!” And it was SO annoying. She did it when we got home every day from work, if we passed by the door that led outside (it is a glass door so she could see us), or just whenever she darn well felt like it. And she would go on and on and ON. I live in town and am allowed chickens, but I was so annoyed and also worried that once warm weather hit and windows opened, I would have a neighbor or two complain. We ended up rehoming her to a farm outside of town, so my solution isn’t exactly great. I just don’t think there’s a way to change it or get it to stop, so you may have to just deal with it or find her a new home. Hopefully others have some advice!
Yea that’s what I was afraid of!!! Thank you for letting me know I’m not the only one!

:gigThat is almost a howl! Although some of my hens are quite demanding and talkative they never howled at me.
Hahaha yes!!!! She will keep doing it until I walk out there and then she seems to be happy!!! I have made sure there is nothing threatening her. I may just have her spoiled rotten!

That sounds close to what one of my black sex links has started to do. She is my biggest hen and will stand just inside the coop, hold her wings out slightly, and cluck really loud! None of my other chickens make clucking chicken noises, just chicken growls and talking? Lol
I’m new to chickens and very unfamiliar with their noises. 😝
Thankfully I live out on a farm with no neighbors for about a 1/2 mile or so.

Back
Top Bottom