Scuttle Update with Pictures!

Crayonsmom

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
MA
So, Scuttle is the only surviving duck of my three first hatched babies. She had a chunk bitten out of her leg Sunday night and we found fly larvae around her wound. I didn't get them all cleaned up right away and some of them turned into maggots, which I cleaned up right away. She also had a few minor abrasions around her head/neck and a bite on her beak because there arescabs on it. So apparently she had Fly Strike, but I don't really think it gotthat far because she's doing pretty darn well. I used Hydrogen Peroxide to keep it sterile forthefirst two days and put Wonder Dust over that. Now we're just keeping that area covered in wonder dust to prevent any more infection. Yesterday there were just a couple more maggots in her wound and she had to have a really thorough bath. But she's been showing improvement every day! She gets to swim in the tut and eat treats every day when I get home. The first day she didn't want to talk or preen herself or eat or drink. Now she's eating anything that's offered to her and preening like crazy. She can move around too. I put her down on the grass and she almost ran away.
lol.png

So, pictures...
smile.png

This is her wound on the first day, after Hyndrogen Peroxide and after most of the larvae were cleaned up, but a lot were still there.
DSCF4632.jpg

Yesterday, covered in Wonder Dust
DSCF4644.jpg

Today, before new Wonder Dust, but there's still a bunch left from before.
DSCF4651.jpg

DSCF4642.jpg

She fits quite nicely into a cat food can box.
big_smile.png
The cats are afraid of her and she's afraid of them. lol
DSCF4643.jpg

DSCF4649.jpg

DSCF4653.jpg

DSCF4654.jpg

DSCF4655.jpg

DSCF4656.jpg

DSCF4659.jpg

Using injusred leg.
cool.png

DSCF4660.jpg

DSCF4663.jpg

I'd say she's pretty lucky! She was slightly injured when Dave was killed, and I'm surprized that whatever got Haystack didn't get her because she's smaller and injured. But it's pretty awesome that she seems to be recovering very quickly now. I wish the other two had been as lucky as her.
sad.png
But I'm glad that at least she has a chance. So, I just wanted to share this. Thanks for looking/reading!
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
It's some sort of drying agent that helps prevent infection too. I believe there's charcoal, diatomaceous earth, and some other stuff in it. lol It's meant forhorses and show stock, and nowwe know it works on ducks!
tongue.png

Last edited:
aw, the poor little baby! im glad she is recovering! i wish mine was... sigh. It still can't walk... it gets around though... it's eating well and preening.. i'm just not sure what we;re going to do. We'll give it some more time but a duck that is crippled is in great danger and a risk to the rest of the flock..

sorry to ramble...
tongue.png

Quote:
Ah, yes! That's what else it was for. lol. Proud flesh and stuff like that.
big_smile.png

animalpro, She's the only duck out of the first three that I hatched. They were all living separate from our 16 other ducks, but now we're going to try to gradually introduce her to them once she's able to keep up with the rest of the flock. So she won't be lonely forever if that's what you're wondering.
smile.png
Dave, Haystack, and Scuttle were my three that I'd made friendlier than Dad's Khakis, so they're the only ducks I ever really mention. lol I'd really like to build a small duck house for 5 or 6 of my most special ducks. Most of them aren't very friendly, but there are a few I spent a lot of time with and am attached to. I guess we'll see. The first step is getting herb ack outside eventually. I'm just so glad she's doing well. She talks to me whenever I go on the porch.
tongue.png
The first day I thought she might not pull through!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom