Second round incubating (problems)

KozyRosie

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2022
Hi all, so ive been referencing here a lot.
And im not having good luck.
First round of eggs all stopped developing at varying stages. I am guessing it was because the temperature was too inconsistent. Only 1 out of 6 eggs developed enough to have feathers... it looked fully developed, im not sure why it didnt pip. So for round two ive put towels ariund the incubator to hopefully keep the temperature more consistent. It seems consistent when im home, but im not sure if it is because when im at work the house temperature cools. Even though ive put a heater in the room to keep it a solid 75 degrees.

The issue ive noticed is one ive seem and wanted to test, i read that if you put shipped eggs i the incubator without turning for the first few days it helps the eggs develop when air cells are wonky.

This.. seems to be true for the funky air cell eggs, but something to be wary. Im on day 12 and ive candled them again. All of the eggs that had intact air cells had a blood ring by day 7. They all developed but that was 2/6 eggs. 1 has a badly detached air cell. Im pretty sure its the one that fell out of the foam packaging during shipping. That has not improved.. but now im on day 12 and all my remaining eggs have very large horshoe air cells that are making me nervous. Should i keep them upright with the large end up and stop turning again a little earlier? Like day 16 instead of 18? Im hoping this will help. Any advice is appreciated. I dont want to have none hatch again...

Im also going to keep the humidity at 60 instead of 50% i think because of the large air cells... these look like they have way too much air in them at the moment. Hoping i get a couple to hatch this time... the last batch looked fine up until day 18, they were too dark to see details so i took that as a good sign. But when cracked open only one was actually developed enougj to feather.. the picture is a penciled outline of the air cell and all of the eggs are this large or similar.

Ive seen some videos where someone has put pieces of egg carton in the incibator to hold the eggs upright with the pointy end down when they are like this. Any experience with this?

Attachments

• 16448579962663584983164253651700.jpg
    16448579962663584983164253651700.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 19
Hi all, so ive been referencing here a lot.
And im not having good luck.
First round of eggs all stopped developing at varying stages. I am guessing it was because the temperature was too inconsistent.
You are probably right about the temperature being the problem. If the eggs were shipped that also badly decreases the amount of eggs that develop.
Only 1 out of 6 eggs developed enough to have feathers... it looked fully developed, im not sure why it didnt pip. So for round two ive put towels ariund
Can you post a picture of you incubator?

the incubator to hopefully keep the temperature more consistent. It seems consistent when im home, but im not sure if it is because when im at work the house temperature cools. Even though ive put a heater in the room to keep it a solid 75 degrees.

The issue ive noticed is one ive seem and wanted to test, i read that if you put shipped eggs i the incubator without turning for the first few days it helps the eggs develop when air cells are wonky.

It does. I put eggs directly into the incubator standing vertically and start turning on the end of day 2.
This.. seems to be true for the funky air cell eggs, but something to be wary. Im on day 12 and ive candled them again. All of the eggs that had intact air cells had a blood ring by day 7.
Three possibilities I can think of;
1. Temperature is off-check the reading to be sure it s accurate.
2. Shipped eggs with minor damage will start to develop then die depending what the damage is.
3. Inferior breeding stock/poor genetics.
They all developed but that was 2/6 eggs. 1 has a badly detached air cell. Im pretty sure its the one that fell out of the foam packaging during shipping. That has not improved.. but now im on day 12 and all my remaining eggs have very large horshoe air cells that are making me nervous.
Saddled air cell-These have a good chance of making it to hatch day. When eggs have a saddled air cell the hatching chick may need help in hatching. If you have not done an assisted hatch, I recommend you read up on this ahead of time. BYC has a great article on this(Above).

Should i keep them upright with the large end up and stop turning again a little earlier? Like day 16 instead of 18?
I do not think this would help.
Im hoping this will help. Any advice is appreciated. I dont want to have none hatch again...

Im also going to keep the humidity at 60 instead of 50% i think because of the large air cells... these look like they have way too much air in them at the moment.
If you post a picture of an egg with the saddled air cell being candled from the side, I can tell you if your worries are justified.

Hoping i get a couple to hatch this time... the last batch looked fine up until day 18, they were too dark to see details so i took that as a good sign. But when cracked open only one was actually developed enougj to feather.. the picture is a penciled outline of the air cell and all of the eggs are this large or similar.

Ive seen some videos where someone has put pieces of egg carton in the incibator to hold the eggs upright with the pointy end down when they are like this. Any experience with this?
I'd suggest trying to find hatching eggs locally or going yourself to get the eggs. USPS does not handle eggs gently and this is likely your biggest problem in getting chicks to hatch.

The eggs you find locally may not be the breed you want, so think of it as an experiment to see if shipping is ruining the eggs or if there is something else going on. All eggs are not created equal. When I set my cochin eggs the hatch rate is near 100%. My phoenix hatch equally well. However, my serama eggs are just the opposite and if I get 25-50% I'm thrilled. When I get shipped eggs I figure nothing or very little will hatch, and if they hatch better I'm ecstatic!
(Note-bringing eggs home in your car is not the same as shipping as some think.)
Eggs can take quite a bit of "rough" handling before they are ruined for hatching. In my opinion, USPS is an expert at being rough.

I have a kebonnixs 12 egg incubator. I increased the temp to 100.5 instead of 99.5 and has an egg turner built in. I try to time hatch date as being on my day off or close to it. Now concerned none of these are developing correctly. All developed... the same amount this time it seems but they dont look ready for lockdown. Im not sure if i included a photo of the one in certain has a blood ring... but i see no movement in any eggs... and ive removed one. But at least this tine they all look about the same development.

Attachments

• 20220131_224322.jpg
    20220131_224322.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220217_191104.jpg
    20220217_191104.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220217_191046.jpg
    20220217_191046.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220217_190720.jpg
    20220217_190720.jpg