Seizure Cayuga Duck?

kellynichole14

Hatching
Mar 17, 2016
Hello! I got four baby ducks in March who are now almost 6 weeks old! I got 1 Rouen, 1 khaki Campbell and 2 Cayugas. Now here's my question..a few weeks after we got them, one of the Cayugas starting shaking and spinning around in circles. We stopped him and held him and a few seconds after he stopped. It hasn't happened in a while and then today when feeding them the cayuga's head started shaking and he was walking all over the place, I held him and then a few seconds later he stopped. Now I don't know if this was the same one since the Cayuga's look similar. But other than this they're acting completely fine. They eat purina flock starter with Brewers yeast, grit and water with electrolytes. We clean the pen about every 4 days and they've been swimming probably 5 times though not recently. I don't know if any of these things would affect them. The khaki and rouen are fine. It's been snowing and colder at night but they're in the garage in a water tank with blankets over it and lights. Has anyone ever had this happen? Is it just a Cayuga thing? Should I be worried? And again other than that he's acting totally fine. Also the vets around here aren't really knowledgeable in the duck field. Hoping someone can help me solve this mystery! Thanks

I have a blue magpie who does this. Only for him it only happens when he gets startled awake, Same thing I pick him up and after a couple of seconds he stops. He seems a bit dazed for a minute when it is over but is soon back to normal. There are a couple other people dealing with this as well and I think one of them also has a cayuga.

I have a Cayuga that a couple weeks ago after startling it one night going into the shed where their brooder was started acting like she was dying from poison or something. She was on her side with her legs kicking. I picked her up and set her down and she was all over the place hardly able to stand or walk her neck stretched out. I picked her up and stroked her and talked to her and she seemed to come out of it and I put her down and she was still a little wobbly but started preening herself and has never done it again. I looked it up on here and saw a few other posts of very similar behavior after being startled and all were Cayugas and magpies. I'm not sure if this is the same as what you are seeing though as yours doesn't seem as though it would have been startled?

Did anyone find out the answer to this? My duck also spins in circles and shakes his head violently. I try to pick him up but he freaks out even more...... Is that a seizure?

Back
Top Bottom