Separate coop and nesting boxes?

There is a trimmed 2x4 on the mouth of the box. I have fake eggs in there. I put cinderblocks in the old nesting boxes to keep them out, but the hen just nestled up behind. Moved the blocks closer so we’ll see.

There is a trimmed 2x4 on the mouth of the box. I have fake eggs in there. I put cinderblocks in the old nesting boxes to keep them out, but the hen just nestled up behind. Moved the blocks closer so we’ll see.

You might have to cover the fronts of the old nests. I've used cardboard a couple times to keep littles from sleeping in them.

They’re not using the new box.
Do they have trouble getting up to it? Might put some well placed stumps increasing in height for assisted flight, close enough/high enough to help the chickens, but not close enough a rat could jump. kinda like separated stair steps.

Have you put most of the chickens into the new nest boxes to check them out - are you sure they know that is where they're supposed to lay?

I've read that rats can jump up to three feet vertical, so I don't what to make it too easy for them to get to the box. I have put various chickens in there; today I got one to stay in for a minute or so. It's about as high as they roost, so I don't think getting up is the problem. I may spray it to make it a darker hole. Or I'll screw around with it long enough that the rat will have lost interest and I can go back to the old nesting boxes.

The problem with that is a rat could drop down from the lip and land on the perch.
You mean from the nest roof?

I think you're gonna have to compromise what a rat might do with what your chickens aint doing.
Indeed.

Probably best to eliminate the rats by trapping/poisoning/etc.

Back
Top Bottom