Separating dogs/Moving

TitiBebbs

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Hey y'all!

I'm moving in a few weeks and taking my almost 2 year old American Bulldog, Boots. Boots has been raised as an outdoor dog with my dad's (now 3 year old) Blue Heeler, Steele. I'm concerned about separating them. I'm afraid Boots or Steele will be sad. Dad is planning to get 2 cows for Steele and thinks that that will keep him occupied. My son, and Boots's primary caregiver won't be back home until mid-month and we start school about the same time he gets back. Boots will continue to be an outdoor dog because he was never trained to be inside. Has anyone ever heard of separation anxiety in dogs from this kind of move? I'd appreciate any links or advice about ways to ease the transition.

Thanks,

Beth

I've adopted and fostered quite a few dogs that had never lived indoors before and brought them in the house to live. They house trained a lot faster than a puppy. I'm not saying that you should do that, but you certainly could, if you wanted to. I only mention this, because of the way your post is worded.

When one of our dogs dies, the other dogs grieve and have to get used to the loss of their companion. Some dogs get depressed, most take it in stride. It depends on the individual dog, as well as their relationship with the one that is now gone.

What I usually do is provide more activities like walks or rides in the car, as a diversion and to perk them up. Things like playing fetch or positive training sessions are good. I also give a few more treats or especially favored chewables to occupy time. Stuffed Kongs work, too.

I'd try to get a routine established at the new place, as soon as possible. Dogs like routine.

Thank you for that information. I'm thinking of waiting until ds gets home from his dad's before bringing Boots to the new place. That way, they can spend the extra time together. I will get some Kong treats. I got those when he was younger, but he chewed through them. As for the indoors option. Mother is concerned that because the place is a rental and we know there have been dogs there, that there could be fleas inside and she says if there are - even dormant eggs, the presence of the dog inside will bring them back. I plan to put him back on Advantage or whatever the Dr. gives him. He hasn't needed it here, luckily. Again, thank you for eplying.

Beth

Back
Top Bottom