Seperating my rooster

Yeah i understand all of what you are saying. But i love them like dogs (more even) and i just care about their welfaare more than anything. I have had roosters and hens before and they lived greatly together and i even ate the fertalized eggs so thats not even the issue.

I did already spend money on the non roll away boxes so that was dumb of me.

I guess im looking at them from more of a pet aspect and not livestock aspect. Responsible breeding and control on genetics is important to me.
I guess I am missing something. How is attempting to keep birds together, of mixed sexes, and expecting them not to mate, being loving or respectful of their nature?

Yeah i would defiently wouldnt want him just to breed willy nilly. Since all my hens are different breeds as well, if they are going to breed id prefer to track genetics.

Im not afraid of eating fertalized eggs! Lol i did with my last roosters and hens. I just dont like the broodiness that comes with constant breeding.

Plus i know nothing of this roosters temperment and i wouldnt want him to pass on aggression.
I think the easiest thing would just be to make sure you collect all the eggs every day, and if they do go broody to break them rather then let them sit.
That way, you wouldn't have to worry about passing on bad genetics, or mixing breeds, as none of the eggs would hatch.

I have never heard of a rooster actually increasing broodiness, I think it is all down to the genetics of the hens.

But if you want the one on oneness of just having hens, maybe see if you can re-home him to a good and loving home? Then, once you have tried that, and if it fails, you could look at how you could keep him separate.

I just think it would be a lot of work, and a fair bit of frustration for the rooster, to keep him separate. I have a bachelor flock for growing out cockerels, and when ever they see a hen on the other side of the fence they sound quite desperate to be able to actually care and interact with them.

Back
Top Bottom