Set eggs last night need hatch buddies

bitsy101

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Mississippi
Hi there I set 40 eggs late last night in my new hovabator 1588. So far the temperature has stayed steady at 100 on GQF thermometer and 99 on thermometer/hygrometer I purchased at WalMart. The hygrometer says 45 to 47. I have the red plug pulled out of the top to keep the humidity down. Are these readings good and where they should be. This is the first time for me to incubate eggs and not let the hens do it for me. Need some hatch buddies to help keep me company and talk me through this process.

I set 39 2 nights ago - hoping for better luck than my one chick out of my last hatch!! You should check the threads on how to calibrate your hygrometer - it's worth checking before you rely on it.

I did read some of those threads last night and wrote down how to calibrate the hygrometer. I may go ahead and take it out and try to do it tomorrow. I have thought like you all afternoon that I really didn't know how accurate it was and if I could depend on it's readings.I think I would rather be safe than sorry and mess up the hatch.

Don't know if anyone is still watching this thread. I went into lockdown yesterday. 1st chick hatched at 2pm today when DH was at home. I came home from work just before midnight to find two more, one is a black chick which I wasn't expecting - mind you I don't know what my roo is so it could have all sorts of weird genetics in it!!!

Got up this AM - no more pips - getting concerned again.

Last hatch out of 20, 9 made it to lockdown and only one chick emerged. This time out of 41, 36 made it to lockdown and now I only have 3 chicks - kinda hoping the rest are just lazy and will pip soon
fl.gif
:fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom