Seven weeks old Cornish roasters, temps dropping soon

DC_WIngnut

Chirping
Feb 2, 2023
Wisconsin
Hello,

We have been raising meat birds for the first time this fall. They’ve been outside in a tractor for almost 3 weeks now but it’s been unseasonably warm here in Wisconsin. They are 7, going on 8 weeks old and our weather is going to take a turn next week. We’re expecting night time lows close to freezing.

Will they be okay in the tractor at night if it gets down to 32 deg Fahrenheit? I have 12 birds in a 3x6 tractor and three of the 4 walls are tarped for wind protection. I thought about throwing a heavy blanket over the top and tarped walls for extra insulation and leaving the one wall open as a vent with just a wind shield over it at night but I wasn’t sure if it was necessary.

Anyone deal with meat birds around 7-8 weeks and having temps dip close to freezing? I wanted to harvest them closer to 9-10 weeks old.

Thanks!

How much do they weigh now? Can you bring the tractor closer to your house? Put it open side towards your house. I would also mostly close off the open side as well. Maybe 80%.

Will they be okay in the tractor at night if it gets down to 32 deg Fahrenheit? I have 12 birds in a 3x6 tractor and three of the 4 walls are tarped for wind protection. I thought about throwing a heavy blanket over the top and tarped walls for extra insulation and leaving the one wall open as a vent with just a wind shield over it at night but I wasn’t sure if it was necessary.
If the tarps already block wind, it is probably not worth putting a blanket over the tarps. If you have enough ventilation to keep the chickens in good health, the inside will never be very much above the outdoor temperature anyway, so trying to insulate with a blanket won't make much difference.

As long as they are out of the wind, chickens usually stay warm enough with their feathers, and Cornish Cross of that age can huddle together to share warmth if they need more than just their own feathers.

Thanks all! We harvested all of them 2 days ago before a day of snow was predicted, about 9 weeks of age. Smallest dressed was just three lbs and largest was almost 6. Happy with my first meat harvest!

Back
Top Bottom