Sex link and egg color questions

FarmerinTraining

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2020
Question #1: How long will it take to breed out the brown egg gene from a breed that lays lighter eggs like Orpington or Sussex chickens.

Question #2: What color cross breeds will make a sex link that breeds true every generation

Question #3: If I cross a chocolate Orpington over a black Minorca will I get sex linked chicks that breed true?

Question #4: Which breeds are NOT dun based chocolate, but "sexl?" Chocolate?

I am using this link to create sex link combos http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator

I believe what you want is an autosexing breed, not a sex-link. Most sex links only have those characteristics for one generation. Some breeds like Barred rocks or Welsummers(not sure on the spelling) can be sexed at birth and should retain these characteristics. As far as your chocolate based sex link, I will defer to someone else for this answer. Good luck and let us know how it goes...

Question #1: How long will it take to breed out the brown egg gene from a breed that lays lighter eggs like Orpington or Sussex chickens.
I do not know how long it would take because there are many brown egg genes. But if you don't plan to cross to any breeds that lay white eggs, it would take a very long time. Even if you do start with a cross it will take a long time.
Question #2: What color cross breeds will make a sex link that breeds true every generation
You are talking about autosexing breeds. There are many purebred autosexing breeds: "Amrock, Ancobar, Barnebar, Bielefelder Kennhuhn, Brockbar, Brussbar, Buffbar, Cambar, Cobar, Cream Legbar, Dorbar, Gold Legbar, Hambar, Niederrheiner, Norske Jaerhon, Oklabar, Polbar, Rhodebar, Welbar, Whealbar, and Wybar." (Thanks poultrykeeper.com)
Most of the autosexing breeds are duckwing based with barring.
Question #3: If I cross a chocolate Orpington over a black Minorca will I get sex linked chicks that breed true?
No. You will get chocolate females and black males split for chocolate. Bred together you will get 50 percent chocolate and 50 percent black offspring. Unfortunately crosses don't breed true.
Question #4: Which breeds are NOT dun based chocolate, but "sexl?" Chocolate?
Orpingtons, Silkies, Cochins. I honestly don't know what else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom