Sexing black francolins?

Nov 5, 2018
Birmingham UK
I recently hatched out 4 Black francolins chicks (now 3 weeks old) which are a bird I have no previous experience with. I know that as adults the males have very different feathering to the females and was wondering when it is possible to sex them.
Since they were born, they have all had very similar colouring except for the subtle difference in breast fluff - 3 had more yellow down on their chests and 1 had more light beige. Does this indicate sex or not?

Attachments

• 20190801_123430.jpg
    20190801_123430.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190801_123413.jpg
    20190801_123413.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 18
I recently hatched out 4 Black francolins chicks (now 3 weeks old) which are a bird I have no previous
I recently hatched out 4 Black francolins chicks (now 3 weeks old) which are a bird I have no previous experience with. I know that as adults the males have very different feathering to the females and was wondering when it is possible to sex them.
Since they were born, they have all had very similar colouring except for the subtle difference in breast fluff - 3 had more yellow down on their chests and 1 had more light beige. Does this indicate sex or not?

Adorable. I have just acquired 11 eggs and am incubating them now so grateful for any advice you can share please for a better hatch rate?
Cheers. Jen the Hen UK.

Hello Jenny how long was the incubation period for, i managed to get some eggs and they are in the incubator, just can’t wait to see them all hatch :)

Hello Jenny how long was the incubation period for, i managed to get some eggs and they are in the incubator, just can’t wait to see them all hatch :)

Unfortunately the guy who sold me the eggs had sold me infertile eggs. He showed me his set up but wouldn't show me his rooster...odd I thought at the time. Now it makes sense, he either kept the rooster separate to the hens so he couldn't cover them, or didn't have a rooster in the first place! All eggs were bright upon candling, duds, no veins at all.
Despite my writing to him I have had no answer.
So instead I drove for 4 hours to buy some chicks, which are doing really well. Sadly, I dont think I have a single male in the 6 chicks but 6 hens is a good starting point I guess 😁

Back
Top Bottom